Will there be a Eastern-rite Pope this century?

• Thread starter Thread starter Krisdun
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slight typo: The correct title is *The Shoes of the Fisherman" with Anthony Quinn playing the Pope:

The movie & trailer are saturated with issues going on in the '60s. TBH, I don’t like the end.

It’s nice to see priests in cassocks and nuns in full habits though. Otherwise, it’s very liberal imo.

Last edited:
There was a movie based on that possibility
The movie is based on the book.

As is often the case, the book is more insightful.

I read the second one, which didn’t really compare, and think I got about halfway through the third.

TBH, I really didn’t care for the movie. I was really disappointed with the ending.

come to think of it, I don’t remember how either ended . . . it was more the attitude, humility, and compassion of the protagonist that impressed me.

While I guess there possible could be one, the Pope is not just head of the Church in general, but in a special way, he is head of the Latin Church, so I don’t think it would be right

I would not be surprised if in the not too distant future there will be missions from Africa coming to try and save Christianity in Europe!

America is already considered, in some foreign dioceses to be mission terrotiry. Over the past 15+ years, our priests in NW USA have been from the Philippines, Nigeria and Ghana. I like their spirituality and their unique contribution to the faith. Good and holy men - all.

Same here in the UK many of the younger new priests are from Africa or India

Last edited:
I think Louis Sako, the current Patriarch of Babylon would make a good Pope.

The same way I don’t think it’s right for a western bishop to hold an Eastern see (unless he adopts the eastern rite), I don’t think it’s right that an eastern bishop should hold a western see unless he adopts the Latin rite (as he should).

Last edited:
Indeed.

And this gets to the crux of why Eastern prelates are turning down cardinal’s hats . . .

And this gets to the crux of why Eastern prelates are turning down cardinal’s hats . . .
I think Patriarchs should be automatically included in ruling the Church, not just when they receive Cardinal’s hat. Title of Cardinal-Patriarch was created for this reason but why is there even a need for such title if Patriarchs get it automatically? Let them be Patriarchs and keep it imo 😃

The pope actually has omni-ritual faculties. For example, Pope Francis has celebrated the divine liturgy in the armenian rite before. But the pope is always the bishop of Rome of course, and would therefore be canonically latin.

The pope actually has omni-ritual faculties. For example, Pope Francis has celebrated the divine liturgy in the armenian rite before. But the pope is always the bishop of Rome of course, and would therefore be canonically latin.
Yes this is my main point that his primary job is that of a Latin Bishop over a Latin diocese and as patriarch of the Latin church.

There has been both Byzantine and Syrian popes at some points in Church History. While the rites were not quite as formalized then as they are today, I guess those eastern bishops “switched rites” when they were elected as popes, or at least they would primarily celebrate the latin mass.

There has been both Byzantine and Syrian popes at some points in Church History. While the rites were not quite as formalized then as they are today, I guess those eastern bishops “switched rites” when they were elected as popes, or at least they would primarily celebrate the latin mass.
In a sense yes but eastern popes were part of Roman clergy for years celebrating the Roman rite. Their ethnicity was eatsern but they had been latinized for years. Pope Sergius (A Syrian) is an example of this.

Last edited:
There has been both Byzantine and Syrian popes at some points in Church History. While the rites were not quite as formalized then as they are today,
By the time they arrived on the scene, the Latin Liturgy had rather significantly diverged from the Eastern liturgies. Pope Gregory I had reformed the liturgy some 75 years before the first of these popes was appointed. And the first of these Easterners would not arrive in Rome until after Gregory’s death, as refugees from the Balkans and from the Muslim invasions.
I guess those eastern bishops “switched rites” when they were elected as popes, or at least they would primarily celebrate the latin mass.
That is precisely what they did. Of course, they did introduce some things, especially their highly sophisticated music to supplement the native Latin one. And things like pomp-filled processions. And probably also incense.

I guess those eastern bishops “switched rites” when they were elected as popes, or at least they would primarily celebrate the latin mass.
In all seriousness . . . has this happened since the church in Rome switched to latin (late third through the fourth century).

I really don’t remember when the “imported” bishops of Rome ended . . .

In all seriousness . . . has this happened since the church in Rome switched to latin (late third through the fourth century).

I really don’t remember when the “imported” bishops of Rome ended . . .
For a seventy five year long stretch from about 675 to 750, all but one of the popes were Easterners. This is three hundred years after Latin became the main ecclesiastical language in the West.

And it wasn’t only the popes that were Easterners. Most of the clergy in Rome at that time were Greek-speaking Easterners, too. As well as a good chunk of the population of Rome, especially the upper echelon.

Last edited:
Pope Gregory I had reformed the liturgy some 75 years before the first of these popes was appointed.
Pope Gregory I (the Great) was the apostolic delegate to Constantinople before he was elected to the papacy. Also, he is the author of the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts which is used during the Great Fast in the Byzantine Tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back