ancestors of Mary

• Thread starter Thread starter villaneweva
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
JesustheSavior:
Can it be possible that the catholic church added books to the bible?
No, that’s history. sorry, the Catholic Church did not add to Scripture.

40.png
kpnuts2k:
it doesnt say that she was a sinner but it doesnt say that moses was a sinnder but he was

if it doesnt say that she wasnt a sinner it means that was
It does say that Moses was a sinner. Remeber when God told him not to strike the rock, and he did it anyway? Disobedeance to God is always a sin. He was punished by not being allowed in the Holy Land. No form of disobedeance or doubt is ever attributed to Mary in the Bible, the same cannot be said for any other follower of Christ.

If any of you had the opportunity, from outside of time, to design and create your own mother, how long would you allow for her to be in the grip of satan?

Mary’s womb was the dwelling place of Jesus for nine months. Since Jesus is God, we can look at all the scriptural (Old Testament) references to the dwelling places of God and gain an appreciation for the sacredness of the fulfillment, which was Mary, herself.

Why was Moses told to remove his sandals on Mt. Sinai? Why were the rest of the Jewish people forbidden to even touch the mountain? Why did Uzziah die after touching the Ark of the Covenant?

Peace in Christ…Salmon

40.png
Pandora:
Cornerstone, I’ve been to the Latin Mass. The Gospel and the homily are in English. It wasn’t in Latin to keep Catholics in the dark but latin is the language of the Church and still is by the way. I have to say it is a beautiful service and is usually a packed house. I went to Catholic school from kindergarten through college and we statred the bible right in kindergarten.
Kathy
Let’s not foget that missals had the English translation beside the Latin, and that Catholics, most if not all, took Latin in school, as the foundation for languages, classics, and reading Church literature. It was beginning to disappear around the seventies, but I had four years up to 1971.

40.png
JeromeHorwitz:
To All - I’ve read all the posts in this thread and am impressed with many of the arguments. However, I feel that this thread has gotten away from the original question and has turned into an Us vs Them argument. Many non-Catholics will never be convinced of a particular Catholic point of view unless it is specifically noted in the Bible only, so why waste more time with words. Let’s pray for each other and show this world that we are all God’s children by our actions/deeds.

I have an analogy, if I may.

If anyone has ever taken martial arts, you will notice that the higher level belts do not posture and try to impress everyone with their newly acquired skills. They are humble because they know within themselves what they are capable of doing and rarely get into fights, but rather resolve disputes before they escalate since most fights are brought about by clashing egos.
Point well taken. I would hate that anything I said here actually pushed a person away from the Church. :eek:

But, again, the answer to the question is “Eve, for at least a short period of time.” 🙂

The Barrister:
Read The Letter of James, Paul’s letters to the Collossians, and Paul’s letter to Timothy. Faith without works is dead. You shall reap what you sow. Take up your cross and follow me (not just “follow me”).

Even Satan “believes” in Jesus. How could he not? If belief was all that was required, the gate wouldn’t be so narrow.
I believe that is what I am trying to do…

sigh

I am leaving this thread… please don’t drag me into anymore discussions. I am trying as hard as I can to be a good Christian and all you can do is tell me I am not saved. I try to perform good works, I minister to those who ask, and even some who don’t. I exhalt God. I pray to him, I confess to him. I have a wonderful relationship with him. He has given me many blessings, and many trials to strengthen my faith. Believe me, I am carrying my cross… You don’t know me, You don’t know what I am going through. You have no right to judge me. I believe I am going to Heaven when all is said and done. And I think that is our goal… all of us. To dwell eternally and happily with our God. I hope I see you there.

God Bless you all… good bye.

Again, do not mistake correction and reproof with judgementation and condemnation.

40.png
Vitus:
Again, do not mistake correction and reproof with judgementation and condemnation.
Good point. Most of what was said in this forum was rather gentle, although things can (and do) get spirited.

JITW - Jesus has made your salvation possible through His passion. Now is the time to do those things that Jesus told his disciples, so that you may also be in Heaven with them. God’s grace is wonderful.

Tantum ergo said:
<<Can it be possible that the catholic church added books to the bible?>>

Well, since it was the Catholic Church that MADE the Bible, no, they did not “add to” or “subtract from” the Bible.

Please do a little research on the deuterocanonicals, the councils of the church, the canon of the Bible, and look carefully at the dates of all to see just exactly what books were considered part of the Bible for how many years. . .and just what churches “jettisoned” those Biblical books, and when.

You won’t find the Catholic church “adding to” or “removing from” Scripture.

What do you mean that they made the bible?please be more specific.

40.png
JesustheSavior:
What do you mean that they made the bible?please be more specific.
The Catholic Church assembled the books into the Bible, as moved by the Holy Spirit, by the Council of Hippo in 393 A.D. and the Council of Carthage in 397 A.D.

Okay, let’s try and swing this thing back around. Name calling and derogatory comments have no place on these pages, and sadly, there is blame to be taken on both sides of the debate. Let’s move on from personal discussions…

For the earnest Bible-Christians who have added so much to this discussion, I want to lobby an olive branch and a challenge. Peace be with you! We Catholics love you deeply for the following reasons:

You’re you!
You care about your faith.
We both believe and love Christ.
We both rely upon God’s Sacred Word.
We both (as groups) try and perform works of selflessness and charity.
You are here, discussing these vital topics!
And countless other reasons…

As a small challenge:

This is tough, because we are all passionate about our respective faith and belief, but let’s pretend this is a High School or College debate. If we are to help others see our point, we must use reason and facts and data and professional delivery.

This thread is primarily about the lineage of Mary’s character, and secondarily about the sinful/less nature of the Mother of God. Since our separated (but loved) bretheren in the Protestant faiths take issue with the teachings of the Mother Church, the burden is upon them to prove that Mary was sinful.

I, and several others, have asked someone to show where it states in the Bible that Mary sinned. I received one verse from Romans that certainly does not prove that she sinned.

I, and several others, charitably rebutted with evidence that shows that it is not only Biblical but entirely reasonable and rational that Mary was sinless, yet no one has bothered to respond to these core issues.

Instead, one person has left the boards entirely, and many others are frustrated and bewildered. We can still redeem this thread. Who wants to talk about the issues?

40.png
Brian:
Okay, let’s try and swing this thing back around. Name calling and derogatory comments have no place on these pages, and sadly, there is blame to be taken on both sides of the debate. Let’s move on from personal discussions…

For the earnest Bible-Christians who have added so much to this discussion, I want to lobby an olive branch and a challenge. Peace be with you! We Catholics love you deeply for the following reasons:

You’re you!
You care about your faith.
We both believe and love Christ.
We both rely upon God’s Sacred Word.
We both (as groups) try and perform works of selflessness and charity.
You are here, discussing these vital topics!
And countless other reasons…

As a small challenge:

This is tough, because we are all passionate about our respective faith and belief, but let’s pretend this is a High School or College debate. If we are to help others see our point, we must use reason and facts and data and professional delivery.

This thread is primarily about the lineage of Mary’s character, and secondarily about the sinful/less nature of the Mother of God. Since our separated (but loved) bretheren in the Protestant faiths take issue with the teachings of the Mother Church, the burden is upon them to prove that Mary was sinful.

I, and several others, have asked someone to show where it states in the Bible that Mary sinned. I received one verse from Romans that certainly does not prove that she sinned.

I, and several others, charitably rebutted with evidence that shows that it is not only Biblical but entirely reasonable and rational that Mary was sinless, yet no one has bothered to respond to these core issues.

Instead, one person has left the boards entirely, and many others are frustrated and bewildered. We can still redeem this thread. Who wants to talk about the issues?
I will begin.

Argument: It is perfectly biblical to believe that a person can live a perfect and righteous life.

Support: Job is called by God Perfect and Righteous. Jobs friends accuse him of Sin. God rebukes Jobs friends for accusing Job of sin when in fact he did not sin. Jobs friends had no right to accuse him.

Conclusion: It is pefectly biblical to believe that Mary never sinned.

40.png
metal1633:
I will begin.

Argument: It is perfectly biblical to believe that a person can live a perfect and righteous life.

Support: Job is called by God Perfect and Righteous. Jobs friends accuse him of Sin. God rebukes Jobs friends for accusing Job of sin when in fact he did not sin. Jobs friends had no right to accuse him.

Conclusion: It is pefectly biblical to believe that Mary never sinned.
Wonderful answer! 👍

40.png
kpnuts2k:
where in the bible does it state this?
i don’t rate any other books or writings apart from the bible

but if you know where it says that mary was sinless please post back
The fact that it is not in the bible does not make it untrue. This would render every document not biblical untrue.

but since you want to insist on Sola Scriptura, where in scripure are the books of the bible?

By the way the Ancsestors of Jesus were not Sinless either (Except for Mary that is)

To my fellow lovers of Christ,

I hope to help our protestant friends to understand typology. Jesus used typology in interpreting the OT and he taught it to the apostles. That is why they talk of going through the Red Sea with baptism.

In typology, the forshadowing in the OT NEVER excedes the NT fulfillment. Using that principle, there can be nothing in Eve or the Ark of the Covenant that is better than Mary. As Eve was created sinless, so was Mary. As the Ark was the holiest object in the world because it held the manna, the commandments and the rod of Arron, symbolizing Christ as the true bread, the word of god and the rod showing authority. Mary like wise is the most perfect created person in the world.

Just like Jesus spoke in parables, God in his scripture speaks in types. This concept of types is supported by many verses in the Bible. The language that is used in Luke talking about Mary visiting Elizabeth is the same wording used when David brings the Ark to the holy City. The same word is used to describe John leaping in the womb as to describe David leaping before the Ark. The same language is use to describe the overshadowing of the Ark by the Holy Spirit as to describe the overshadowing of Mary. This is a concept that many protestant scholars use. I find it quiet fascinating and love to study it. I hope you learn from it too.

If anyone knows of a good book on the topic of typology, please share it with me. Thanks for the stimulating discussion.

40.png
JesusIsTheWay:
I believe that is what I am trying to do…

sigh

I am leaving this thread… please don’t drag me into anymore discussions. I am trying as hard as I can to be a good Christian and all you can do is tell me I am not saved. I try to perform good works, I minister to those who ask, and even some who don’t. I exhalt God. I pray to him, I confess to him. I have a wonderful relationship with him. He has given me many blessings, and many trials to strengthen my faith. Believe me, I am carrying my cross… You don’t know me, You don’t know what I am going through. You have no right to judge me. I believe I am going to Heaven when all is said and done. And I think that is our goal… all of us. To dwell eternally and happily with our God. I hope I see you there.

God Bless you all… good bye.
The point is, you can’t say you’ve been “saved” when you are still alive on this Earth, when you are still on “probation” – you ARE saved when your time here has ended and you’ve entered Heaven for eternity! I do believe this difference in our dictionaries fuels this endless argument. sigh

40.png
kpnuts2k:
since i started thuis debate id beter sort u guys out

if you belive that mary was without sin show us where it said that is the bible also while your there show us where it says that she stayed a virgin and where it says that she didnt die but assended into heaven
Look in Luke chapter 1 where the angel Gabriel tells Mary that she shalt conceive a child. Mary respondes, “How can this be since I do not know any man.” The word shalt is in the future tense which means she will in the future concieve a child. Her response is like a vow of chastity. She is basically saying how since I vowed chastity. The angel then tells her that she will be concieved by the Holy Spirit.
Now for sinlessness there are many reasons but here is only one. Look at where Gabriel calls her full of grace. To be full of Gods grace you must be sinless because what it means to be full of grace. It is through Gods grace that she stayed sinless. Jesus was sinless because he is God. Mary was sinless because of Gods grace.

40.png
kpnuts2k:
it doesnt say that she was a sinner but it doesnt say that moses was a sinnder but he was

if it doesnt say that she wasnt a sinner it means that was
Do you remember when Moses did not trust God so he went ahead to look and God told him that he would never see the promised land. God told him this because he did not trust God. It is a sin not to trust God

40.png
cornerstone:
NONE of the passages that you mention say that Mary was sinless.
the catholic church was never really interested on people reading the Bible. not too many years ago, as all of you know, the mass was given in latin. what benefit is listening to a sermon that is not on a language that you can understand? latin was not a language on the Bible. latin was not the language of the apostles. latin was already a dead language, why use it on the mass.why would Jesus warn about adding or taking out from the Scriptures if then other doctrines can be verbally added as we go? (Revelation 22:18-19)
why would the apostles warn about other gospels and then add other doctrines like purgatory? or
the answer is: they never did.

God does not share his glory.
Isaiah 42:8 says
“I am the LORD ; that is my name!
I will not give my glory to another
or my praise to idols”
Why did you protestants take 7 books out of the bible. If you don’t accept those 7 as holy scripture why not just take the other 66 books out of the bible then you have it nice and easy, you have no books to follow. The apostles never warned about other gospels they did not have the gospels to read. They did warn about the false teachers like Martin Luther.
I go to the latin mass sometimes and it is beautiful. It is not to hid anything. It was in latin so that it would not change. The readings and the homily are in english.
Tose passages don’t say it explicitely but they certainly do say it. Read some articles about it by Catholics. Go on any catholic apologetics site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back