Catholic Charismatic Questions and Answers

• Thread starter Thread starter robertaf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
CreosMary:
On tongues I think todays Gospel is interesting;
"Jesus said to his disciples: “In your prayers do not babble as the pagans do, for they think that by using many words they will makes themselves heard. Do not be like them; Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. So you should pray like this; Our Father…”
Matt 6: 7-15
Yes, lets throw scriptures at one another like protestants do to make ourselves feel better about ourselves for our ignorance. :rolleyes:

40.png
MariaG:
I don’t think that is what she was saying. I think she was saying that Paul certainly didn’t pray to be converted and the one person wasn’t praying to be slain in the Spirit, but both happened because they truly were open to serving God.
Thanks, Maria
That is what I meant.

Dj Roy Albert:
What private interpretation?? That was word for word, you’re the one expressing personal opinions here.

Could you at least show proof where Church teachings say non-catholics/christians can find salvation apart from Jesus? That would be good.
I did not say that. I said Non-Catholics can be saved, which the Church does teach.

40.png
CreosMary:
"Jesus said to his disciples: “In your prayers do not babble as the pagans do, for they think that **by using many words ** they will makes themselves heard. Do not be like them; Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. So you should pray like this; Our Father…”
This is speaking of rattling on with words in the vernacular. It is not a referance to speaking or praying in tongues.

posted by Dj Roy Albert
If the Church declares that Confirmation baptises with the Holy Spirit, then who am I to argue?
But to me, that answer implys that you do not see it that way.

As someone who was confirmed at age 38, the saddest part was to see teen after teen being baptized in the Spirit, and to see the Holy Spirit slowly leave because they did not even realized what was happening or where the joy came from.
There are many different ways to explain or express what one goes through after coming into a deeper understanding of life in the Holy Spirit, being “born again” is the most common. I simple refer to it as being a Christian.
Okay. Could someone like me be Baptized in the Spirit? I have the gift of tongues, I remember exactly when and where it happened. I have had a born again experience. I know Jesus. He is my Lord and Savoir.

Is it also a renewal? Can one person do it many times? Is it an opportunity for those who really did not get up and shake hands with the Holy Spirit at Confirmation to say hello again? Those who are weary to get a new infilling? Those who are on fire still? Or is it a one time deal?

Your sister in Christ,
Maria

Good morning Church

The longer I am a Charismatic Catholic, the less I like the term Baptism of the Holy Spirit. I do wish we had used another term just to save all the confusion.

It had meaning 30 years ago, and for some reason didn’t raise the questions it does now.

It is actually, a renewal, I think. I don’t know for sure if it is a fresh outpouring of the Spirit or just a deeper realization of what we have from Baptism and Confirmation. This, also, has been talked about for many years.

I believe we should and can be renewing ourselves Spiritually until the day we die, when we then become Perfectly renewed.

The problem as we all see, is vernacular. Not just the use of different vernacular for the same occurance, such as what Catholics call “conversion” and non catholics call “born again” being “saved”, etc., but various forms of vernacular between Catholics.

This is what I am hoping this thread, through good, healthy and deep discussion, questions, will help. I am so happy it is being done with great respect for our differences and samenesses.

Dj Roy Albert:
Yes, lets throw scriptures at one another like protestants do to make ourselves feel better about ourselves for our ignorance. :rolleyes:

Roy A, There is something wrong with your reply. Creose Mary had given a Scripture that was pertinate to the subject.(Matt6:7-15).

You are asking that Scripture NOT be used. I suppose you prefer to use personal opinions instead. Then you handed out a slur. You used an error of Protestants and heaped it onto Creose Mary. Not nice Roy A.

posted by Robertaf
It is actually, a renewal, I think. I don’t know for sure if it is a fresh outpouring of the Spirit or just a deeper realization of what we have from Baptism and Confirmation. This, also, has been talked about for many years.
So anyone can do it many times?

Coming from the Pentecostal Churches, we could be baptized in the Spirit many times, in the manner they did, it was like a revival for many. Some already had gifts, others first time and even others met Christ. This sounds like what people are describing.
It is just in the Catholic Church, language has always seemed more precise, and using those words, Baptize in the Spirit, just seem to be more loaded.

That actually brings up my next question: Who does this? Is it only Bishops or can anyone in the Catholic Church do it if they have the gift for it?

Your sister in Christ,
Maria

Exporter said:
Roy A, There is something wrong with your reply. Creose Mary had given a Scripture that was pertinate to the subject.(Matt6:7-15).

You are asking that Scripture NOT be used. I suppose you prefer to use personal opinions instead. Then you handed out a slur. You used an error of Protestants and heaped it onto Creose Mary. Not nice Roy A.

Actually the scripture was not pertinant to this discussion, as I explained,
Originally Posted by CreosMary
"Jesus said to his disciples: “In your prayers do not babble as the pagans do, for they think that by using many words they will makes themselves heard. Do not be like them; Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. So you should pray like this; Our Father…”

This is speaking of rattling on with words in the vernacular. It is not a referance to speaking or praying in tongues.

I have a legalistic type of question that I haven’t seen discussed so far. I want to attend a Life in the Spirit meeting. Do you have to be a valid Catholic to attend? My wife and I were married in a civil ceremony. We were both married in the Church in our first marriages and I have had my first marriage annulled but she has not. She now no longer is Catholic but has become a pastor in a Pentacostal-like church. As such I am currently not receiving any sacraments but wondered if I could still attend a Life in the Spirit meeting.:hmmm:

Anyone can attend the meeting. You can also attend Mass. You are not allowed to receive Holy Communion if you are married outside of the Church.

Pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and talk to a priest—perhaps your situation can be fixed, and you can coome back to the Church, if this is what you wish.

Hello! The Charismatic renewal movement was started not by man like other movements in church history but by the Holy Spirit Himself right after the bishops at Vatican II prayed for a New Pentecost, the Charismatic Renewal started in our Church! I have been baptize in the Holy Spirit for the last 24 years. How the baptism in the Holy Spirit has helped as a Catholic first of all it gave me a deeper understanding and experience of the Sacraments, the Mass and the bible. They truly became alive in a real personal way. About the gift of tongues, there are 4 different kinds of tongues the New Testament talks about. The one that God desires all christians to have is praying in tongues (1Cor.14:5). What is praying in tongues? It’s prayer in the power of the Holy Spirit. It’s the Holy Spirit praying with our spirit using our tongue not with our understanding but in faith Romans 8:26-27. Tongues do not make us holy but, will help us get holier faster. Think about that one? Peace!

Hi Blessed Fr Serra

Welcome!
There are several of us here, that go back to the early part of the Charismatic Movement.
I am so happy to see your wonderful post.
I do hope you stay around to help us teach those who are seeking information and truth about this great move of the Holy Spirit.

I hope everyone takes to time to introduce themselves and give a short bio of their lives in the Charismatic Renewal.

My name is Roberta. I live in Northern California but a native of So. Cal and spent most of my life there. I became a Catholic in 1955 and then a Charismatic about 1968. I have been prayer group leader, Bible study teacher, and taught a lot of other Churchy stuff.

Very happy to meet you.

Welcome Blessed Fr Serra.
Great post.

I would like to invite some of the Charismatics to share a little about their lives in the Renewal.

My name is Roberta. I have lived in Northern California since 1990 but am a native of So. Cal and spent almost all of my life there. I became a Catholic in 1955 and a Catholic Charismatic about 1968 (can’t remember the exact date). I have been a Prayer Group leader, a Bible Study teacher. Have worked on the Conference teams for both the Riverside/San Bernardino Charismatic Conference and SCRC www.scrc.org
Have also spent many years teaching other Churchy stuff.

Hello Roberta, I live also in Northern California, Fremont south of Oakland and north of San Jose. Please to meet you. I remember going down to the scrc back in the early 80’s when i first got into the renewal. They were blessed moments of my life. I also have been involved since as a bible teacher, Mission San Jose Covenant Charismatic Community leader, Parish invovlements etc.
Code:
 I'm 45 years old now, was baptize in the Holy Spirit when I was 20 years old. It's great waking up each morning to see how the Lord is going to reveal himself that day.  He's full of surprises, especially witnessing about His love to others.  Well talk to you soon I hope.  God Bless You!   John M.
“ALWAYS GO FORWARD AND NEVER TURN BACK” BLESSED FR. JUNIPERO SERRA

40.png
MariaG:
But to me, that answer implys that you do not see it that way.
I’ll have to admit that I don’t, I see it as something totally different than the “baptism of the Holy Spirit” of the early church.
As someone who was confirmed at age 38, the saddest part was to see teen after teen being baptized in the Spirit, and to see the Holy Spirit slowly leave because they did not even realized what was happening or where the joy came from.
The Holy Spirit never leaves once He has entered into a persons life, but many try their hardest to shut Him out.
Yes, I agree that many times teens are not ready for Confirmation, but go through the motions regardless, & yes it’s saddening.
Okay. Could someone like me be Baptized in the Spirit? I have the gift of tongues, I remember exactly when and where it happened. I have had a born again experience. I know Jesus. He is my Lord and Savoir.
It seems that if you do have the gift of tongues then you have already been baptized in the Holy Spirit.
Is it also a renewal?
It can be looked at that way, but is much more than just a renewal.
Can one person do it many times?
Be baptized in the Holy Spirit more than once? No.
Is it an opportunity for those who really did not get up and shake hands with the Holy Spirit at Confirmation to say hello again?
The baptism in the Holy Spirit isn’t like shaking hands. The Holy Spirit “shakes” your entire being, this is not what happens at Confirmation.
Those who are weary to get a new infilling?
No, you can not be “filled” again. We recieve the Holy Spirit into our hearts at Baptism, we confirm this at Confirmation. Bieng baptized IN the Holy Spirit is just that, being baptized in the Holy Spirit, we don’t recieve Him again, but being baptized in Him allows Him to work more freely & profoundly in our lives.
Those who are on fire still?
I will interject my personal opinion here & say that a christian isn’t really “on fire” until they have been baptized in the Holy Spirit, but to answer your question, it could be seen that way, yes.
Or is it a one time deal?
Yes, once only, what we do with the gifts from there is our own responsibility.

Hi Blessed Fr Serra

I am just south of Redding.
We usually still go down to SCRC. Didn’t this year because in March I lost part of a lung to lung cancer and went through Radiation therapy. Of course, was not working, … just couldn’t make it this year.
However, in October, we were blessed to have Charley and Abbott David come to Redding from Friday Nights with Jesus and spend a week putting on a wonderful Retreat for us. They will be back again in April.
I just received my San Francisco “Charismatics” paper today. Keep track of whats happening over on the coast.
Really glad you have joined us here.

40.png
Exporter:
In the scripture she quoted:
  1. Jesus is speaking about repetitious babbling of coherent words, which does not apply to praying in tongues. Whenever a person prays, speaks, sings, worships, praises or engages in spiritual warfare in tongues, it is not only the person speaking the words that is in action, but the Holy Spirit within the person - Rom 8:26 “…the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groans.” Do you understand, or do you think the Holy Spirit is in error as well?
  2. Jesus was speaking about pagans. Pagans do not know nor put faith in God, Jesus, nor the Holy Spirit, charasmatics do. If you’re implying that charmatics or people that pray in tongues are “pagans” then I guess someone made you God all of a sudden to judge? Interesting.
You are asking that Scripture NOT be used.
Personal misinterpretations of Scripture, yes. Look at some of my previous posts before asking such silly questions please. All I ever do is quote scripture & Vatican II.
Next question.
I suppose you prefer to use personal opinions instead.
Wow, yes, you got really me there, that’s exactly what I do. :rolleyes:
Then you handed out a slur.
:tiphat: hi, my name is Roy, sometimes I am rude, I’m sorry but I’m trying to work on it.
You used an error of Protestants and heaped it onto Creose Mary.
I included myself in that statement did I not? What I maybe should have said was that we can throw bible verses around all day & nothing will come of it if these verses are misinterpreted, just as she misinterpreted the verse she quoted.
Not nice Roy A.
It’s also not nice to try to use the Bible as a tool to knock others down & make our own false understandings seem like the truth. When I quote scripture I do my best to see that they are words of encouragement, unless the person that needs to hear them needs to little nudge in the right direction. If funny that way.

Hi again,

I’m Suzanne Zisblatt from Staten Island NY

Cradle Catholic—startied attending Prayer Meetings about 10 years ago.

I have had many wonderful infusions of the spirit in the past 10 years.

I am now the Publicity manager for the SI Conference of Catholic Charismatic Prayer Groups.

here are a few links

here’s our conference website
siconference.com/

and our picture albums

picturetrail.com/

In the box labeled ‘Member Name’: (upper right corner)
type in siconference to access the picture albums

Here’s my bio–written by my daughter, Lara for the SI Council of Churches.
Suzanne Zisblatt is a wife, mother and soon to be grandmother. She has been married to David for 31 years and has raised three grown children Steven, age 25, Lara, age 26, and Rebecca, age 30, married to Craig Sanford, and expecting her first child in April.

When she is not fulfilling her responsibilities as a mother and wife, Suzanne is the Financial Administrator for SoftWise Corporation, a Staten Island-based computer program development company.

Suzanne is a devout Roman Catholic at Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish, and has devoted her time in being a Catechist, choir member, lay reader and Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. Also, she is treasurer of Our Lady Star of the Sea Prayer Group and Publicity Manager for the Staten Island Conference of Catholic Charismatic Prayer Groups.

Suzanne has touched the lives of the sick and suffering by visiting hospital patient and nursing home residents to administer Holy Communion. Her training as a Pastoral Care Giver has allowed her to be a comfort to the sick and suffering with her listening ear and warm prayers. Also, Suzanne’s personalized prayer cards have provided a spiritual reminder of God’s love for those celebrating baptisms and weddings as well as for the sick and grieving.

Most of all, Suzanne’s family, friends and spiritual community feel that God has given her a gift in her ability to reach out to the sick and grieving and be a beacon of God’s loving comfort during difficult times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back