Catholic Charismatic Questions and Answers

• Thread starter Thread starter robertaf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again,

I’m Suzanne Zisblatt from Staten Island NY

Cradle Catholic—startied attending Prayer Meetings about 10 years ago.

I have had many wonderful infusions of the spirit in the past 10 years.

I am now the Publicity manager for the SI Conference of Catholic Charismatic Prayer Groups.

here are a few links

here’s our conference website
siconference.com/

and our picture albums

picturetrail.com/

In the box labeled ‘Member Name’: (upper right corner)
type in siconference to access the picture albums

Here’s my bio–written by my daughter, Lara for the SI Council of Churches.
Suzanne Zisblatt is a wife, mother and soon to be grandmother. She has been married to David for 31 years and has raised three grown children Steven, age 25, Lara, age 26, and Rebecca, age 30, married to Craig Sanford, and expecting her first child in April.

When she is not fulfilling her responsibilities as a mother and wife, Suzanne is the Financial Administrator for SoftWise Corporation, a Staten Island-based computer program development company.

Suzanne is a devout Roman Catholic at Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish, and has devoted her time in being a Catechist, choir member, lay reader and Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. Also, she is treasurer of Our Lady Star of the Sea Prayer Group and Publicity Manager for the Staten Island Conference of Catholic Charismatic Prayer Groups.

Suzanne has touched the lives of the sick and suffering by visiting hospital patient and nursing home residents to administer Holy Communion. Her training as a Pastoral Care Giver has allowed her to be a comfort to the sick and suffering with her listening ear and warm prayers. Also, Suzanne’s personalized prayer cards have provided a spiritual reminder of God’s love for those celebrating baptisms and weddings as well as for the sick and grieving.

Most of all, Suzanne’s family, friends and spiritual community feel that God has given her a gift in her ability to reach out to the sick and grieving and be a beacon of God’s loving comfort during difficult times.

Hi again,

I am now the Publicity manager for the SI Conference of Catholic Charismatic Prayer Groups.

here are a few links

siconference.com/

and our picture albums

picturetrail.com/

Suzanne Zisblatt is a wife, mother and soon to be grandmother. She has been married to David for 31 years and has raised three grown children Steven, age 25, Lara, age 26, and Rebecca, age 30, married to Craig Sanford, and expecting her first child in April.

When she is not fulfilling her responsibilities as a mother and wife, Suzanne is the Financial Administrator for SoftWise Corporation, a Staten Island-based computer program development company.

Suzanne is a devout Roman Catholic at Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish, and has devoted her time in being a Catechist, choir member, lay reader and Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. Also, she is treasurer of Our Lady Star of the Sea Prayer Group and Publicity Manager for the Staten Island Conference of Catholic Charismatic Prayer Groups.

Suzanne has touched the lives of the sick and suffering by visiting hospital patient and nursing home residents to administer Holy Communion. Her training as a Pastoral Care Giver has allowed her to be a comfort to the sick and suffering with her listening ear and warm prayers. Also, Suzanne’s personalized prayer cards have provided a spiritual reminder of God’s love for those celebrating baptisms and weddings as well as for the sick and grieving.

Most of all, Suzanne’s family, friends and spiritual community feel that God has given her a gift in her ability to reach out to the sick and grieving and be a beacon of God’s loving comfort during difficult times.

Hi again,

here are a few links

siconference.com/

and our picture albums

picturetrail.com/

40.png
BlessedFrSerra:
Hello! The Charismatic renewal movement was started not by man like other movements in church history but by the Holy Spirit Himself right after the bishops at Vatican II prayed for a New Pentecost, the Charismatic Renewal started in our Church! I have been baptize in the Holy Spirit for the last 24 years. How the baptism in the Holy Spirit has helped as a Catholic first of all it gave me a deeper understanding and experience of the Sacraments, the Mass and the bible. They truly became alive in a real personal way. About the gift of tongues, there are 4 different kinds of tongues the New Testament talks about. The one that God desires all christians to have is praying in tongues (1Cor.14:5). What is praying in tongues? It’s prayer in the power of the Holy Spirit. It’s the Holy Spirit praying with our spirit using our tongue not with our understanding but in faith Romans 8:26-27. Tongues do not make us holy but, will help us get holier faster. Think about that one? Peace!
Hello Fr.Serra,
From the many sources I’ve read, the Charismatic movement started from a university, not from our Church.
I really question your statement “God desires all christians to have is praying in tongues”. From the 1Cor.14 Footnotes at usccb.org website:

3 [3b-5] They produce two kinds of effect. One who speaks in tongues builds himself up; it is a matter of individual experience and personal perfection, which inevitably recalls Paul’s previous remarks about being inflated, seeking one’s own good, pleasing oneself. But a prophet builds up the church: the theme of “building up” or “edifying” others, the main theme of the letter, comes to clearest expression in this chapter (1 Cor 14:3, 4, 5, 12, 17). It has been anticipated at 1 Cor 8:1 and 1 Cor 10:23, and by the related concept of “the beneficial” in 1 Cor 6:12; 10:23; 12:7; etc. 4 [6-12] Sound, in order to be useful, must be intelligible. This principle is illustrated by a series of analogies from music (1 Cor 14:7-8) and from ordinary human speech (1 Cor 14:10-11); it is applied to the case at hand in 1 Cor 14:9, 12.

Also, can you point me to any Church’s document that says tongue will help us get holier faster?

40.png
robertaf:
Misty!!!
I do believe we heard you the first time. HAHAHAHA!
Isn’t that rediculous? I kept getting an error message, and when I checked there was no post.

I asked to have the duplicates deleted—hopefully they will comply

40.png
robertaf:
Misty!!!
I do believe we heard you the first time. HAHAHAHA!
Hi Roberta, Is it possible Misty picked up the repetitious gift of tongues? 😃 God Bless

Luv ya too!!!

And yes, I do pray in tongues, and it is just sounds. Occassionally a latin word jumps in --usually anima or sine, and sometimes Maranatha, but usually nothing I understand, Sometimes the tongue gets very quick—I think this is just our desire to pray, and we really don’t know how, so we let the Spirit do it for us, or perhaps it is just our human desire praising or pleading with sounds, but not words.

I was baptised in the Holy Spirit, spoke in tongues, and had all the signs of inebriation, like on the day of Pentecost. We were taught never to pray in tongues at a prayer meeting unless an interpretation was to come. St. Paul says that tongues are a sign for unbelievers, so why does the Charismatic Renewal emphasise tongues and euphoria? The Charismatic Renewal is ultimately a dead end to advancing in holiness and grace because of its necessary emphasis on feelings. Our faith is not about feelings of peace and euphoria.
You see I was a Pentecostal and not Catholic. When I first heard Gregorian chant, I immediately was struck wth its resemblence to singing in the Spirit. It is the ordering and institutionalization of singing in the Spirit in my opinion. It is the proper liturgical development.
Secondly, read St. Leonard’s, The Hidden Treasure of the Mass. Worshiping God is not about our feelings or us. The prayer meetings we had as Pentecostals were supposed to be centered on God, but of necessity, they deteriorated into talking to each other instead of with God.
I have attended one “Charismatic” Mass. It had non-liturgical music and the Charismatic part detracted totally from the God-centeredness of the Mass’s structure. It was poor liturgy. It may be useful for new Christians, but ultimately one must go to the traditional prayers and practices and traditional Mass, which the Holy Spirit has revealed as being the best nourisher and sustainer of our faith. It reminds me in a way of the protestant desire to go back to the days of the early Church. I grew up in such an ecclesial community which claimed to be the church of the Acts of the Apostles. There is something better-the treasures of the Church’s development of traditional practice and prayer.

Hi Leeta,

And welcome. Your post is all your opinion, and you are certainly entitled, but CCR (which does include much praying in tongues) is an approved movement of the Church. We have been through this many times.

There are differences of opinion, but we are trying to answer any questions regarding CCR. It has been approved by the Pope. It is an optional form of worship, so by all means, if you do not like it, do not go.

40.png
Leeta:
We were taught never to pray in tongues at a prayer meeting unless an interpretation was to come. St. Paul says that tongues are a sign for unbelievers, so why does the Charismatic Renewal emphasise tongues and euphoria?
You are absolutely correct, especially on the tongues are a sign for unbelievers. You can see same explanation on US Catholic Conference of Bishops website.

40.png
MariaG:
I don’t think that is what she was saying. I think she was saying that Paul certainly didn’t pray to be converted and the one person wasn’t praying to be slain in the Spirit, but both happened because they truly were open to serving God.
Maria,
how can St.Paul be truly open to serving God when he is not converted yet?
So when we are truly open to serving God, we can lose our free will, not in control of our conscience, choices, and God decides for
us. I don’t think so. This is heresy called quietism.

40.png
gnome:
Maria,
how can St.Paul be truly open to serving God when he is not converted yet?
So when we are truly open to serving God, we can lose our free will, not in control of our conscience, choices, and God decides for
us. I don’t think so. This is heresy called quietism.
Both Paul & Roberta could have said NO–neither did

40.png
gnome:
You are absolutely correct, especially on the tongues are a sign for unbelievers. You can see same explanation on US Catholic Conference of Bishops website.
Please provide a link .

Here we go again— undocumented private interpretation of scripture, and manipulation of foot notes
7 [20-22] The Corinthians pride themselves on tongues as a sign of God’s favor, a means of direct communication with him (2.28). To challenge them to a more mature appraisal, Paul draws from scripture a less flattering explanation of what speaking in tongues may signify
Paul is speaking to the Corinthians around the time of Christ, not US- CCR in the 21st Century. And it did also say MAY signify.

Greetings Church,
I would like to refer everyone to my first post.
Please, lets keep this Question and Answer forum and refrain from any debate at all.
I realize it is hard sometimes not to insert posts that we feel strongly about. I would ask that you keep it for another thread, open to debate.
Thanks and God Bless you all

40.png
Mysty101:
Here we go again— undocumented private interpretation of scripture, and manipulation of foot notes

Paul is speaking to the Corinthians around the time of Christ, not US- CCR in the 21st Century.
hmm…interesting. Can you tell me who is manipulating the Footnotes? I simply gave a link to usccb.org website.
OTOH, if you quote a Footnote, I wonder why you skip the last part of the [20-22] note:

===
Isaiah threatened the people that if they failed to listen to their prophets, the Lord would speak to them (in punishment) through the lips of Assyrian conquerors (Isaiah 28:11-12). Paul compresses Isaiah’s text and makes God address his people directly. Equating tongues with foreign languages (cf 1 Cor 14:10-11), Paul concludes from Isaiah that tongues are a sign not for those who believe, i.e., not a mark of God’s pleasure for those who listen to him but a mark of his displeasure with those in the community who are faithless, who have not heeded the message that he has sent through the prophets.​

ps. I wished to bold the line
“…tongues are a sign NOT for those who believe, i.e. NOT a mark of God’s pleasure for those who listen to him but a mark of DISPLEASURE with those in the community who are FAITHLESS…”
But did not want it look manipulated 😉

OK then why is Tongues a gift of the Spirit?

Again this was in the time of Isaiah and Paul. It is not necessarily addressing CCR today.

Let’s not get into this again—The Pope did not exclude Praying in tongues (which is the manner in whih most Charismatics pray at least sometimes) when he approved the movement.

Please don’t wreck this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back