Father James Altman: You cannot be Catholic & a Democrat. Period

• Thread starter Thread starter fide
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are still an overwhelming amount of people dying from various different issues we still don’t do anything about.

Why is abortion more important than any other reason when the numbers are almost the same? Can’t do anything about them.
True people die everyday. We are all going to die but dying from sickness or accidents is different than being killed by someone. The intent behind abortion is always, “kill”.

Assuming you are correct then Trump appointed an idiot as Defense Secretary.
I don’t know one should say that. Mattis is a soldier, not a diplomat. He shouldn’t critique Trump’s diplomacy any more than he should critique Astrazenica for its vaccine.

I don’t know one should say that. Mattis is a soldier, not a diplomat. He shouldn’t critique Trump’s diplomacy any more than he should critique Astrazenica for its vaccine.
With that logic a CEO of a company handles absolutely everything and we shouldn’t have any other roles for any other purpose. More importantly none of those other roles (should they exist) ever sit down at a table and collaborate. Because none of them have anything to say about the shortcoming of another party which causes them to have greater problems.
I am not sure what you are asking
I didn’t forget a question mark.

Last edited:
Whatever.

Really trying to be nice here but @Ridgerunner being obtuse got my all cynical about Christian charity.

With that logic a CEO of a company handles absolutely everything and we shouldn’t have any other roles for any other purpose.
On the other hand, you shouldn’t hire a lawyer to take out your appendix, and not many lawyers would purport to do it either.

Thanks for your opinion. Of course you know that Pope Benedict taught that it could be acceptable for a Catholic to vote for a pro-choice candidate if proportional reasons exist and if the voter is voting based on those proportional reasons and not the candidate’s pro-choice beliefs. And the reasons that I find to be proportional do not have to convince you. Not to mention the fact that we Catholics are explicitly taught not to be single issue voters.

Whatever.
Okay, so no, deaths that are not by abortion are not just “whatever”. We do, in our society, things to help them. Medical science works on cures and medicines and treatments every day to help people with most all kinds of sickness and disease. Sometimes those people made choices that caused them to be in certain sickness or disease situations. They have the option or choice to change their life.

They have a choice. People who are born have choices.

An unborn human being has no choice. They are given no choice or voice in their situation. He only has those who were given the opportunity to be born and enjoy this life to speak and choose for them.

Last edited:
And the reasons that I find to be proportional do not have to convince you.
No. But they have to be equally grave. What in today’s election issues is equally grave to intentional killing of 700 or 800 thousand innocent children per year?
Address mine or move on.
Your only point was that Mattis thinks Trump is a poor diplomat. My point was that Mattis is not trained in diplomacy, but war. He would not be a good choice for an expert in a field about which he knows little.

Last edited:
An unborn human being has no choice . They are given no choice or voice i n their situation. He only has those who were given the opportunity to be born and enjoy this life to speak and choose for them.
Neither does your average mortal living under the thumb of a corporation that steals all their water ( Nestle USA)
Or makes food not meant for daily consumption.
(Meat lobby)

But we consume it, and damage our planet and our fellow man and still have cookouts.

I’m not a vegetarian but how we treat our planet and each other is not sustainable and we’re doing vast amounts of damage to both. People dying from conditions caused by what we eat that we don’t do anything about. We see our food as American and patriotic and part of capitalism. All things we hold as sacred despite the damage they do.
Your only point was that Mattis thinks Trump is a poor diplomat. My point was that Mattis is not trained in diplomacy, but war. He would not be a good choice for an expert in a field about which he knows little.
You missed my point then.

Last edited:
Neither does your average mortal living under the thumb of a corporation that steals all their water ( Nestle USA)
Or makes food not meant for daily consumption.
(Meat lobby)

But we consume it, and damage our planet and our fellow man and still have cookouts.

I’m not a vegetarian but how we treat our planet and each other is not sustainable and we’re doing vast amounts of damage to both. People dying from conditions caused by what we eat that we don’t do anything about. We see our food as American and patriotic and part of capitalism. All things we hold as sacred despite the damage they do.
Actually, we who are alive experiencing this do have choices. We have laws, we have many people working on environmental protection. We can join in and help do our part. We can protest and petition. We can get education and help make changes. Plant a garden. Grow organic. Purchase water. …There are many things we can do and many choices we can make to help these situations.

The United Nations has a whole global plan to address many of these issues. Environmental protection is one of the biggest plans going right now. Check out UN Development Goals 2030.

Last edited:
Father Altman said it in his video. It’s the title of this thread. It’s wrong. This is what I meant by deceptively simplistic. Though he never used the words “under any circumstances” he makes it sound like an absolute, as though it can’t be done under any circumstances.

He might think the present political situation disallows a vote for a Democratic candidate, and you might agree with him, but that does not make it the official teaching of the Church.

Last edited:
Actually, we who are alive experiencing this do have choices. We have laws,
Laws protect people who have money to defend the law. Who have money to make law and policy. The wealthy and the lobby groups.
We can protest and petition.
And get branded as eco terrorist or just plain boring terrorist.
Plant a garden.
Some people can afford that, other’s lives in the city.
Purchase water.
From the people who stole it.
The United Nations has a whole global plan to address many of these issues. Environmental protection is one of the biggest plans going right now. Check out UN Development Goals 2030.
Which is a whole other issue I have with Trump right there. Man won’t listen to the UN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back