Father James Altman: You cannot be Catholic & a Democrat. Period

• Thread starter Thread starter fide
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is because the Church wants them and wants them for eternity that these messages are important.
Let’s not conflate the Church with strict traditionalism. You’re right that the church does want to save as many souls as possible; that’s why Pope Francis has been eating with sinners and trying to cast a wide net. He’s not saying “you’re doing nothing wrong”, he’s saying “you’ll always be the Father’s children and He’ll always love you”. He understands that misguided Catholics are still Catholics and that the holy spirit takes His time.
How many of the these sinful men did Jesus pander to, and dance around their duplicity
Saying “you’re still a Catholic even if you disagree” is not pandering, it’s an acknowledgement of God’s love.

misguided Catholics are still Catholics and that the holy spirit takes His time.
Misguided Catholics can also be in a state of mortal sin and no one knows the day or hour. It has nothing to do with “strict traditionalism”. The Church IS traditional and Pope Francis never said our salvation is guaranteed without repentance.

Here is the statement decreed by Pope Francis when he officially included the prohibition of the death penalty in the Catechism:
Here is a long and very careful analysis of the exact wording in the Catechism revision that includes Francis’s teaching: The Revised Catechism on the Death Penalty..

The essay is far too long and careful to quote here, but I’ll quote the final conclusion:
… it is clear that the text itself does not necessarily teach or imply anything new concerning the intrinsic morality of the death penalty considered apart from contingent circumstances presumed to exist in parts of the modern world.
I added “bold” for emphasis. But note the words carefully - and read the actual text, please! This teaching is not a papal definition of new revealed Truth! It is an opinion based on personal prudential judgment dependent on “contingent circumstances presumed to exist in parts of the modern world.”

Papal prudential judgments of presumed civil circumstances and consequences are NOT solemn teachings. To compare this with the grave proscription of abortion - a Church teaching since the very beginning of the Church! - is absurd.

According to God’s Law, unlawful killing is killing of the innocent .
According to God’s Law, it’s God who decides who lives or dies.

And as the Church has said, there is no reasonable ground to impose the death penalty as of today.

Are you seriously saying that 1,516 executions of those who committed horrible crimes is on the same priority of 60 million abortions of innocent people who weren’t even given a chance to live??
Is every life precious to the Most High or not?

Honestly given the Democratic party’s blatant pandering and focusing on issues that are contradictory towards Christian values to be borderline anti-Christian I’d agree with father James here. In fact I’ll take it a step further that you cannot be a bible believing Christian or a Torah believing Jew or a Quran believing Muslim and support the Democratic Party. It’s honestly surprising that most Jews and Muslims and about half of Catholics support the Democratic. Most democrats borderline want to ban religion in any public sphere let are happy with lgbt festivals because “it represents who they are”

Is every life precious to the Most High or not
Im sorry but I am not buying your argument.

Yes every life is precious but I take it you are saying that people right now are in just as much danger of being executed for a crime as babies are in danger of abortion and it just isnt true.

Just like an emergency room prioritizes who is in the most serious chance of death and prioritizes so should we.

Think about it. Are hundreds of thousands of people in danger of execution right now?

No.

Im sorry but I am not buying your argument.
Unfortunately for you I can say the same for you.

Life is sacred.

Which means those who kill the unborn are commiting the same sin as those who mandate the death penalty.

Keep that same energy.

It’s the same sin on both counts.
I sort of agree…not totally though…one is a punishment for a crime, the other is not

But are you saying capital punishment is a reason to vote Democrat?

Last edited:
Imagine if we had a team of people working to save each baby in danger of being aborted. Arguing for their worth and innocence. Arguing for mercy.
Maybe there’s a team of angels working unbeknownst to us…

literally said what I was saying.
Perhaps but your comment followed my comment regarding voting to stop abortion and voting to stop the death penalty not being equal priorities. So just clarifying the meaning behind your comment.

If you are just saying all life is valuable, then I agree.

If you are saying it is a reason to vote Democrat, I disagree

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back