Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Hey!!! I have a Ruger Red Label. Great up land bird and skeet gun. 👍
You got that one right!

40.png
FightingFat:
Sometimes I find myself distressed by the attitudes of posters here. I have to say that this has been the most distressing series of posts I have experienced on CA. I can’t reconcile this pro-gun attitude with my own faith. I am frankly shocked that some have posted on this thread about a Patron Saint of gun-handlers, and priests who tote weapons.
It’s just that though - your personal aversion to violence due to what seems to be a pacivist character. Gandhi was of the same mind and I certainly don’t have a problem with that. However, I think it’s worth mentioning that this is not against church teaching, just your personal priorities of life - you feel being willing to die rather than kill in defense is the only choice you could make. That’s fine by me. I certainly wouldn’t force my gun on you. The problem here is that you seem to think you have a right to make everyone conform to your choice by having their guns taken away - and that I have a big problem with.
I think there is an argument for self defense, wouldn’t argue that, but I cannot believe that meeting violence with violence is a way forward for humanity. Violence on this sort of level is not something I have had cause to seriously contemplate. I have always been brought up that it is wrong to kill someone- to take a life. I do not think, ‘given these circumstances I would feel justified in taking a life…’ I just think that I would not. If I were killed as a consequence of that decision I will hope that I meet my heavenly Father with a sound conscience. I find myself uncomfortable and deeply saddened that we have such incredibly different views and yet are all members of the one Church.
I think it’s great that you’ve never had cause to contemplate protecting yourself with a gun! The irony here is that it’s due to the willingness of others to not just contemplate it, but be willing to stand in the line of fire should there be a need. They aren’t heros or even particuliarly brave, just ordinary people who will not sit idle while horrors occur around them, even when it’s to people who would rather turn their eyes away and hope “someone else” comes to the rescue. I don’t want to ever kill anyone and hope I never have to. (geez, I don’t even like to hunt!) Every pro-gun ownership person I know would say the same thing - well maybe not the hunting part.

40.png
Richardols:
You’re a whole different ballgame, Isidore. You’ve got polar bears going through garbage cans behind houses lucky enough to be on the few paved roads up there in Frozenland. I wouldn’t deny you the right to go armed any way you wanted.
Far more people are killed by criminals in Little Rock than by polar bears in Alaska.

Out of curiosity, let me ask you something. We’ve shown (and there are reams of documentation to go with it) that violent crime goes DOWN when liberalized concealed carry laws are enacted. Lives are saved. And there is no down-side to it.

Why do you oppose it?

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
How about crossbows and cattleprods? Caltrops? Just throw a handful on the floor in front of onrushing aggressors and watch the show.
I like the cattle prod idea…but I think there would be complaints about human rights violations. Caltrops would just tick people off, or be ineffective with heavy shoes. Punji stakes maybe? Naw…too much setup time. Crossbows would be ok…but I think I’d rather just carry a compound bow. One look at a bear arrow would settle most people down (a bunch of exacto blades on the end of an arrow, very wicked).

40.png
Richardols:
You’re a whole different ballgame, Isidore. You’ve got polar bears going through garbage cans behind houses lucky enough to be on the few paved roads up there in Frozenland. I wouldn’t deny you the right to go armed any way you wanted.
Ahhh, polar bears require a bit more heat than a “hog’s leg” You need a Marlin .450 magnum or similar, which is rather uncomfortable when shot from a pistol chambered for such a cartridge.

40.png
Isidore_AK:
I like the cattle prod idea…but I think there would be complaints about human rights violations. Caltrops would just tick people off, or be ineffective with heavy shoes. Punji stakes maybe? Naw…too much setup time. Crossbows would be ok…but I think I’d rather just carry a compound bow. One look at a bear arrow would settle most people down (a bunch of exacto blades on the end of an arrow, very wicked).
That’s why you use a simple pocketfull of marbles…

40.png
FightingFat:
During the Nazi occupation of Poland, did the Pope do nothing? Certainly he didn’t take up a gun- so was he guilty of allowing the triumph of evil? No, he did something, and he worked against that regime. He didn’t need a gun to do it. True Christian freedom is choosing to restrict your actions for the benefit of others.
Splendid comparison. :rolleyes: Last time I checked, one man isn’t stupid enough to draw a gun on an entire army. How about keeping the comparisons on the par with reality?

40.png
wabrams:
Splendid comparison. :rolleyes: Last time I checked, one man isn’t stupid enough to draw a gun on an entire army. How about keeping the comparisons on the par with reality?
Evidently you’ve never watched Rambo III. Oh, wait, that was a knife. Belay my last.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Ahhh, polar bears require a bit more heat than a “hog’s leg” You need a Marlin .450 magnum or similar, which is rather uncomfortable when shot from a pistol chambered for such a cartridge.
…I carry a .45 ACP for ‘wildlife’ within city limits. In the woods you take a .308 or bigger. Bigger is better. At least a carbine of some sort. Pistols are vey ineffective against bears…once you get to the calibers that work, you might as well carry a rifle.

40.png
Isidore_AK:
…I carry a .45 ACP for ‘wildlife’ within city limits. In the woods you take a .308 or bigger. Bigger is better. At least a carbine of some sort. Pistols are vey ineffective against bears…once you get to the calibers that work, you might as well carry a rifle.
That’s why I like the .450 Marlin. About the size of a 30-30, flat shooting, great in open evironments or the bush, and can be loaded with High Explosive shells if necessary for long range artillery bombardment.

40.png
Richardols:
Why “carry” arms? I see no problem in folks owning firearms. But, why the need to carry them? Our country is not the Wild West any longer. I don’t see any pressing requirement to strap on a hog’s leg before venturing over to Kroger’s.
We don’t have Kroger’s here but if you want to stop in the White Hen or Quick Mart near Robert Taylor Homes in Chicago for directions or gas I would strongly suggest that you be ‘packin’ and make it obvious.

40.png
Lance:
We don’t have Kroger’s here but if you want to stop in the White Hen or Quick Mart near Robert Taylor Homes in Chicago for directions or gas I would strongly suggest that you be ‘packin’ and make it obvious.
“Packin”, by that you mean driving a fully loaded UHaul?

vern humphrey:
Far more people are killed by criminals in Little Rock than by polar bears in Alaska.

Out of curiosity, let me ask you something. We’ve shown (and there are reams of documentation to go with it) that violent crime goes DOWN when liberalized concealed carry laws are enacted. Lives are saved. And there is no down-side to it.
You can go strapped in Arkansas. Have the numbers of shootings gone down here in Little Rock thanks to the pistol-packers? If you have the numbers, I’d be anxious to see them.

40.png
Lance:
Sure, at that specific location maybe, but there are also bars where you normally leave by walking out back-to-back with a broken bottle in each hand.

Does that therefore mean that I and a bud have to do the same at every watering hole in America? The Oak Bar at the Plaza Hotel, too?

Scott_Lafrance said:
“Packin”, by that you mean driving a fully loaded UHaul?

If you have a fully loaded Uhaul and don’t have at least a .45, there is an excellent chance you will not have a UHaul, your wallet, your car or your health when you leave. 😃

40.png
Richardols:
You can go strapped in Arkansas. Have the numbers of shootings gone down here in Little Rock thanks to the pistol-packers? If you have the numbers, I’d be anxious to see them.
In 1997, there were 250 murders in Arkansas. Since the state population was about 2,523,000, that’s almost 10 per 100,000.

By 2,000, there were only 168 murders, from a population of 2,673,400, or a bit less than 6 per 100,000.

(source: disastercenter.com/crime/arcrime.htm)

And the beauty is, concealed carry doesn’t cost the taxpayer a penny! The people applying for licenses pay for their own training, admin costs, and buy their own weapons.

Now, since it cuts violent crime, and doesn’t cost a penny – and since all the blood-curdelling predictions made before the law passed have not panned out – what’s your objection?

40.png
Richardols:
Sure, at that specific location maybe, but there are also bars where you normally leave by walking out back-to-back with a broken bottle in each hand.

Does that therefore mean that I and a bud have to do the same at every watering hole in America? The Oak Bar at the Plaza Hotel, too?
I don’t totally disagree with you. I am sure my wife would not want me to have my pistol strapped on when we go to our K of C formal dance, or even when we go to our local movie or our local grocery but I see nothing wrong with having it in the truck or car just in case.

I have a question to ponder…

How likely is it that you will be attacked by a bear in the woods? How many people think it is prudent to carry a weapon ‘just in case’ while fishing or hiking?

Now, how much MORE likely (in many cties) is it that you will be mugged, carjacked, assaulted, or (for the women) raped? Now wouldn’t it be even more prudent to carry protection of some sort?

Just a thought…

40.png
FightingFat:
No, but my claim is that you are wrong.
I am wrong how? That Aquinas did Not write the Summa, or that what St. Thomas wrote does not apply to our discussion.

If the second, please clarify where you find the error.
During the Nazi occupation of Poland, did the Pope do nothing? Certainly he didn’t take up a gun- .
Actually, he did mobilize the Swiss Guard to defend the Vatican. It proved unnesessary, as Nazi troops stopped shorr of the Vatican limits.

BTW, you do know that those guards carry sub-machine guns don’t you. H&K MP4’s to be exact. It’s not just halberds and morions. So the Pope is very much defended by firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back