HIV, AIDS cases rise among U.S. gay, bisexual men

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Zoot:
All women are daughters, and they usually make the decision themselves in this country.

Sex education will help them make an informed decision. I’d also recommend probability theory in math class.
I repeat the question, “You don’t have a daughter, do you??”

40.png
Zoot:
Yes.

And she is well schooled in probability theory.
And do you think the typical sex ed in our schools (not much more than a HOW-TO course) is something that needs to be put in front of your daughter at age 6???

40.png
jlw:
And do you think the typical sex ed in our schools (not much more than a HOW-TO course) is something that needs to be put in front of your daughter at age 6???
That depends on the content of the class for the six-year-olds. They vary from system to system. So what content do you refer to?

40.png
Zoot:
That depends on the content of the class for the six-year-olds. They vary from system to system. So what content do you refer to?
Come on. You blather so!

Look, sex is introduced in grade schools, not in context of a biology class:

“This is the male REPRODUCTIVE system…this is the female REPRODUCTIVE system…This is how we have babies”.

No, it is introduced in a HOW TO *HAVE SEX context. *

*Condoms on bananas? “Types” of sexuality?? “Views” about sex?? *

Zoot, given the present state of sex-ed in our government schools, the best way to educate our kids about sex is at home, not in a classroom void of any Christian values.

40.png
Zoot:
I suspect she will be making that decision herself. The more she knows, the better her decision will be.

I’d say sex education classes in school are a good place to learn.
So is it only sex that you let your daughter gamble on without your advice or do you let her experiment with drugs too?

Parents have the responsibility to bring up their children properly and part of protecting them is teaching them proper behavior.

If you are Catholic, I suggest you read the Catechism on this topic. You will find you are sinning to do otherwise.

40.png
jlw:
Come on. You blather so!

Look, sex is introduced in grade schools, not in context of a biology class:

“This is the male REPRODUCTIVE system…this is the female REPRODUCTIVE system…This is how we have babies”.

No, it is introduced in a HOW TO *HAVE SEX context. *

*Condoms on bananas? “Types” of sexuality?? “Views” about sex?? *

Zoot, given the present state of sex-ed in our government schools, the best way to educate our kids about sex is at home, not in a classroom void of any Christian values.
Well, I’d say that training six-year-olds to apply a condom is unnecessary. They might end up thinking bananas are involved. Are six-year-olds trained in this? Where?

But teaching about sex in grade school is fine with me. Like any other subject, it makes sense to introduce it gradually, and at levels of detail and compexity that can be comprehended by the kids.

Sex is the same for everybody. Christianity certainly has no monopoly. I’m not sure what aspects of sex should be kept secret.

40.png
gilliam:
So is it only sex that you let your daughter gamble on without your advice or do you let her experiment with drugs too?

Parents have the responsibility to bring up their children properly and part of protecting them is teaching them proper behavior.

If you are Catholic, I suggest you read the Catechism on this topic. You will find you are sinning to do otherwise.
You can teach your kids anything you like, but the decision is in their hands. So, a parent doesn’t let a kid experiment with sex or drugs; the parent is not in a position to make the decision when the kid is faced with the decision.

Looking at the percentage of Catholics who practice birth control, and the general sexual behavior of Catholics, I’d say that few care much what the catechism says about sex.

40.png
Zoot:
Well, I’d say that training six-year-olds to apply a condom is unnecessary. They might end up thinking bananas are involved. Are six-year-olds trained in this? Where?

But teaching about sex in grade school is fine with me. Like any other subject, it makes sense to introduce it gradually, and at levels of detail and compexity that can be comprehended by the kids.

Sex is the same for everybody. Christianity certainly has no monopoly. I’m not sure what aspects of sex should be kept secret.
You really think sex is like any other subject???

“The first president was George Washington…and homosexuality is a choice on par with heterosexuality…”

“2+2=4…and condoms are a safer way to have sex (without consequences)…”

“The verb in the sentence is in the present participle…and share your questions about oral sex with our guest today from GLISSEN…”

“e=mc squared…and birth control is available at the nurse’s office…”

40.png
Zoot:

Do you ever infuse the machine with a soul? Is sex nothing more than a mechnical act that can produce neural responses resulting in pleasure and, on occasion, offspring? For those aspects that go beyond mechanics, some of us like to consider ethics, tradition and spirituality. I’ve never been too convinced the public schools do a very good job on any of these aspects of human sexuality.

40.png
jlw:
You really think sex is like any other subject???

“The first president was George Washington…and homosexuality is a choice on par with heterosexuality…”

“2+2=4…and condoms are a safer way to have sex (without consequences)…”

“The verb in the sentence is in the present participle…and share your questions about oral sex with our guest today from GLISSEN…”

“e=mc squared…and birth control is available at the nurse’s office…”
Yes. It is like any other subject. However, I think classes should be devoted to one subject at a time. I’d have one class each for history, math, English, physics, and sex. (There may be an exception to this if we are dealing with the history of attitudes towards sex in history and literature.)

40.png
Zoot:
You can teach your kids anything you like, but the decision is in their hands. So, a parent doesn’t let a kid experiment with sex or drugs; the parent is not in a position to make the decision when the kid is faced with the decision.

Looking at the percentage of Catholics who practice birth control, and the general sexual behavior of Catholics, I’d say that few care much what the catechism says about sex.
You speak the truth, but as usual, liberals like you think schools/experts can/should educate children better than parents.

Gilliam is right. Go read your Catechism in regards to the responsibility of educating our children.

No argument here about Catholics who don’t follow their Faith beyond the “stand, sit, and kneel” on Sundays.

Island Oak:
Do you ever infuse the machine with a soul? Is sex nothing more than a mechnical act that can produce neural responses resulting in pleasure and, on occasion, offspring? For those aspects that go beyond mechanics, some of us like to consider ethics, tradition and spirituality. I’ve never been too convinced the public schools do a very good job on any of these aspects of human sexuality.
I have yet to infuse a machine with a soul.

I’d say public schools have no business getting into spirituality.

Sex can be many things to different people. However, there is a core that is common to all. That is what should be taught. I’d include various outlooks on sex in social sciences.

40.png
jlw:
You speak the truth, but as usual, liberals like you think schools/experts can/should educate children better than parents.

Gilliam is right. Go read your Catechism in regards to the responsibility of educating our children.

No argument here about Catholics who don’t follow their Faith beyond the “stand, sit, and kneel” on Sundays.
Now, where did I say schools/experts can/should educate children better than parents? I think I am a much better teacher of probability than the schools because of my gambling experience. It brings the subject alive.

However, there are parents who are terrible at teaching their kids much of anything. In those cases the school does do a better job.

I don’t follow the stand, sit, kneel reference. Sorry.

40.png
Zoot:

Sex can be many things to different people. However, there is a core that is common to all. That is what should be taught. I’d include various outlooks on sex in social sciences.
Riiiiiiiight.

Sex doesn’t have a spiritual component???

So I guess the ACLU will make sure that sociology class will be very one-sided.

Again.

Now, where did I say schools/experts can/should educate children better than parents? I think I am a much better teacher of probability than the schools because of my gambling experience. It brings the subject alive.

Sex is not a subject boiled down to just “probabilities”, now is it??.

However, there are parents who are terrible at teaching their kids much of anything. In those cases the school does do a better job.

Fair enough, but because of this, parents who DO have a problem with school sex-ed can’t have MORE authority than the glorified sex therapist in the classroom?

*Attending Mass!!?? Hello?? *

40.png
jlw:
Riiiiiiiight.

Sex doesn’t have a spiritual component???

So I guess the ACLU will make sure that sociology class will be very one-sided.

Again.
Sex may have a spiritual component, but that is not the business of the public schools.

If social sciences taught about various existing views on sex, I see little for the ACLU to complain about, The Catholics have a view. Buddhists have one. Western athiests have one. Liberals have one. Conservatives have one. The ACLU has never objected to classes on comparitive religion. I see no grounds for them to object to a survey of various views on sex.

40.png
jlw:

Sex is not a subject boiled down to just “probabilities”, now is it??.

Fair enough, but because of this, parents who DO have a problem with school sex-ed can’t have MORE authority than the glorified sex therapist in the classroom?

*Attending Mass!!?? Hello?? *
Probability has a place in teaching about sex, but the treatment would be incomplete if it were limited to probability.

I’d leave the authority in the school to the school board and teachers. The electotrate can change the school board if they choose. I see no reason to give parents authority in classes in math, English, history, or sex.

And here I thought mass was more than exercise.

40.png
Zoot:
Sex may have a spiritual component, but that is not the business of the public schools.

If social sciences taught about various existing views on sex, I see little for the ACLU to complain about, The Catholics have a view. Buddhists have one. Western athiests have one. Liberals have one. Conservatives have one. The ACLU has never objected to classes on comparitive religion. I see no grounds for them to object to a survey of various views on sex.
Teaching HOW TO HAVE SEX is not the business of the public schools!!

Puleeeeeeese!! Comparitive religion?? Only on college campuses.
In high school, religion is hardly touched, unless in a historical context (and usually in a slanted way).

40.png
Zoot:
Fortunately someone divine has.
Thank goodness–something we can agree on!
Weak effort, at best. Yes, the schools can do the biology, maybe
better than most of us. But I think you need to be honest in your evaluation of exactly what it is they take on in teaching human sexuality. Including “various outlooks in social science” sounds nice and might work for implementing a desegregation plan or integrating special needs into a curriculum, but falls far short with something as personal and value-laden as sexual morality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back