Obama says rise of Trump was racist reaction to 'having a black man in the White House', blasts President for birtherism and says the rot set into GOP

• Thread starter Thread starter gam197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on, you can’t see that the entire birther conspiracy was racist?
No. Like I said, I paid little attention to it because I found it silly. But my question was where was race specifically mentioned in the questioning of Obama’s birth certificate?
You provided a source about Clinton (it’s wrong, but you provided it)why not one about specific references to race?

I have not read any of Obama’s books and don’t plan on reading this one.
The only books I ever read by Presidents were Harry Truman’s “Plain Speaking” (which was great, I recommend it) and JFK’s “Profiles in Courage” (his lionization of Sen. Taft was a bit much but I would need to read it again).

I cannot imagine reading 800 pages of any memoir by anybody. Especially a lawyer. Sounds more like a doorstop than a book.

If Trump writes a memoir I’d read it though, if for no other reason than to annoy people who’d be annoyed that I bought and read it.

Last edited:
And I make my comment not based by the color of Obama’s skin, but by his character. He was a smooth
operator and not authentic in my opinion. He was a good orator. But he was shallow and empty.

I have to admit that this is strange. Barack and Michelle Obama got joint deal to each write a book for $65M.

As Vox explains, this is an advance against royalties–the per-book share the author(s) get.

Vox gives the example of a book’s selling 80K copies for 50 years (quite a feat!).

Even that would cover only $8M of the author’s share at the $2/copy sold that Vox mentions. Double that, as there are two books involved, and you only cover $16M.

Oddly enough, the company which got a $350M deal to create Common Core textbooks (Pearson), owns a 22% share of Random House/Penguin. This article suggests a little quid pro quo in the Obama’s book deal.

Last edited:
No doubt there is also great PR value in being the publisher to have the Obamas on their author roster. Depending on the contract, the publisher could also have other rights that might be lucrative.

one of whom was John McCain, who ran against Obama in 2008.
John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone. That is undisputed. Had he been elected, he would have been the first President not born in the US (even the earliest Presidents were born in the US, but under colonial rule–but people born in the colonies were grandfather in per the Constitution). There was some talk about the “natural born citizen” issue in early 2008, but most people did not think it was a serious issue.

Obama did not believe it was a problem. Most scholars felt that McCain was a natural born citizen. Even Congress passed an act saying McCain was a natural born citizen:

Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton co-sponsored Senate legislation saying they thought the issue was bogus. On April 30, 2008, the U.S. Senate passed a resolution to put it to rest: “John Sidney McCain, III, is a `natural born Citizen’ under Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution of the United States.”

Last edited:
Really? Now, I would believe you if you said that nobody outside New Zealand had heard of Bill English, but Jacinda Ardern? I think of her as a stateswoman with an international profile. After the Christchurch mosque shootings, when the eyes of the world were upon New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern acquired a high profile around the world and was universally acclaimed for her response.
But my question was where was race specifically mentioned in the questioning of Obama’s birth certificate?
I think we all know that the entire birther controversy was inherently racist. Please, just think about it. Obama as the first (half) black man to run for the presidency. By an astonishing coincidence, he was also the first presidential candidate about whom it was seriously suggested that he might not actually be eligible (I am not including minor quibbles such as Goldwater being born in the Territory of Arizona shortly before it was admitted as a state). Nobody is suggesting, for example, that Donald Trump might actually have been born in Scotland. Now, you may think that that sounds ridiculous, but there is precisely the same amount of evidence for Trump having been born in Scotland as there is for Obama having been born in Kenya.

I would add that even if Obama were to have been born in Kenya, he would almost certainly still have been eligible to be president, as nobody seems to deny that his mother was a US citizen at the time of his birth (and was herself born in the US). Surely this makes the whole birther controversy even more obviously racist.

Obama did so much destruction with his race baiting…
For instance? I think that canard as to Obama was always inaccurate. It seems Kafkaesque.

I think it is about time that Obama called birtherism what it was – racism.
But instead of presenting his birth certificae, Barack Obama chose to make a huge issue out of this.
Actually, he never did make this an issue – those deniers did. After Obama’s birth reports from the Honolulu papers came out, there was nothing left to birtherism but racism. As much as folks want to deny it.

Last edited:
48.png
7_Sorrows:
But he was shallow and empty.
How wonderful it must be to read other people’s mind. Do you also think that Trump is a “deep thinker”?
Where did I say I read people’s minds?

48.png
0Scarlett_nidiyilii:
Obama did so much destruction with his race baiting…
For instance? I think that canard as to Obama was always inaccurate. It seems Kafkaesque.

I think it is about time that Obama called birtherism what it was – racism.
But instead of presenting his birth certificae, Barack Obama chose to make a huge issue out of this.
Actually, he never did make this an issue – those deniers did. After Obama’s birth reports from the Honolulu papers came out, there was nothing left to birtherism but racism. As much as folks want to deny it.
Actually, an investigation into the birth certificate was done in Arizona. A report of the findings were given to the public.

Surely this makes the whole birther controversy even more obviously racist.
This on top of the Central Park Five ad Trump had paid for several years prior. Among other things.

Last edited:
Again, Democrats, please don’t tell us what racism is. You don’t define it, it’s in your past and present.

And so many deportations of immigrants already living here productively.

I agree with Obama about the undercurrent of racism. But what does John McCain’s choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate have to do with anything?

Last edited:
Didn’t he put that— being born in Kenya in his own book? Or was that more fake news?

But what does John McCain’s choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate have to do with anything?
Interesting tidbit—the media actually liked Sarah Palin when she was governor.

I read a Vogue article (or some other prominent women’s mag) about her, the tone was very positive, female-power type stuff, and her nice family, etc.

Then a year or two later she wound up on the Republican ticket and the press turned on her like an animal.

Christmas is coming. It has been released in the fall hoping it will be a sellout as a Christmas gift.

Clinton Campaign did come up with Birtherism, so whomever that was, is racist.

Democrats support Planned Parenthood, that is racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back