On the Tiber's shore

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is he can’t be separated from them like that either.

He has a few interesting stories. Ministers using rose petals was another favorite story of his.

🤣🤣🤣

Yes. Apparently it’s very beautiful, if not efficacious. They need catechesis badly.

I’ve heard it does. I wouldn’t take a stand on it. Water, flowing. But not for me to say.

Fast look online (boo) says aspersion (sprinkling) valid, if water flows on skin. Any further corrections, I’d be glad to be instructed.

Last edited:
Really quick question—does anyone have a recommendation for an examination of conscience/Confession guide that is either available online or as an Android app?

I’d like to start preparing for when the opportunity avails itself.

Thank you.

Also, @mrsdizzyd, thank you. I will be sure to ask Father about radical sanation.

Thank you.

Seeing the Fathers of Mercy one really hit me. The pastor of the last Catholic Church I attended was quite fond of them.

Laudate has been helpful to me with all sorts of stuff. Including examination of conscience.

Wife brought it up again tonight. She’s saying all this stuff I’m bringing up doesn’t matter to our salvation and seems to be distracting me from Jesus. I said it all matters, but she doesn’t see it. If we attend a church that is in rebellion, and not founded by apostles, then yeah, it matters. But she said she still loves me, so that’s good lol

@Margaret_Ann

Lol! My favorite hiding place has always been under the shoe lining, below the instep—where it’s least likely to be discovered, if my prayer recipient isn’t very “gung ho.” That location works especially well in boots, but the shoe linings of the past 20 or so years are difficult to dismantle without detection. Gorilla Glue has been my secret accomplice. 😀

The prayers surrounding the scapulars are wholesome and good, but if you use them, please understand what they mean and what they don’t mean. A scapular is NOT a talisman, NOR a good luck piece. It is a physical reminder of your dedication to special intentions for which you are devoting much thought and prayer.

What do you say if your prayer recipient finds the scapular and demands to know why? “Because I love you. No one on this earth is more important to me than you are.” 😇

Last edited:
I should be ordained in my Protestant community next year, and that if I don’t follow through and give them three more years as a minister, I’ll have to pay back my training costs (and I can’t). We’ll have to talk about possible ways around this,
That’s quite a predicament. Should you follow through with the three year term, the congregation runs the risk of exiting en masse with you. :woman_shrugging:t2: Oh well. Maybe they should just fire you. C’est la vie!

Last edited:
I don’t have an official document at hand right now (I’ll look and edit later if I find it), but it was drilled into us during the first months of pastoral training that to be valid, a baptism had to imply water poured by the officiant at least on the baptized’s forehead, or an immersion into water performed by the officiant on the baptized (matter) and the correct Trinitarian formula (form).

I can see how an officiant just standing on the shore and not actually performing the baptism (pouring water/immersing people) could cause validity issues.

We all know what we think of wiki, but it saith as follows:

and the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia it links to says (see under “Matter”)

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Catholic_Encyclopedia_(1913)/Baptism

All of which may be changed, for all I know, but it represents the logic I had read, elsewhere. The water flows, as an ablution, whether poured, immersed, or sprinkled. Valid.

And there is this obscure site:

Again, a definitive source to the contrary will instruct and correct me on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back