Presidential Debate 9/29/20 Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter TK421
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in a household of six kids.My oldest brother,a helicopter pilot in VN died in 1971 when his copter was shot down. It devastated my family and fifty years later I still cry about his death and miss him terribly.My youngest brother was profoundly disabled,physically and mentally.He couldn’t speak and wasn’t educable My parents cared for him well into their seventies. He died at the age of 37 . I’m fully aware of tragedies such as what JB has experienced.No doubt there are many who can relate.
Having said that,my impression of him is he is using those tragedies to engender sympathy votes, rather than actually discussing his platform.
He couldn’t respond to anything for fear of losing support for radical groups he is depending on for votes.

Actually you have no proof Trump’s children have ever gotten a nickel from “foreign connections.” One reason Trump confounds his adversaries is that he’s not beholden to foreign influences.

Actually, funding construction of golf courses from
Russian banks - where the property collateralizes loans - sounds perfectly above board to me.

Plus let’s stick on target - the issue is Hunter Biden, who is in fact a multimillionaire, and whether Trump could legitimately comment on him. The answer is yes, and efforts to deflect this to Trump’s kids are the same sort of redirection I’ve commented on in the past.

Last edited:
There really isn’t a reason to defend everything.
THIS is what I don’t get. You prefer Trump over Biden? Fine, but why the need to elevate him to a godlike status and defend even his most obvious weaknesses and bad behaviour? It’s always ‘well, Biden this…’ as if morality and integrity only count in comparison to another person. I really would be more apt to understand why people vote for Trump if they were honest about his wrongdoings and flaws. Every behaviour, even those filmed live, is explained away by ’ but abortion’ and ‘fake news’ and ‘unfair’. If Trump supporters would acknowledge that yeah, he’s a thin-skinned jerk and there are a lot of nefarious activities that seem to surround him and his associates, but I really must vote for him because I believe he will further the fight against abortion–well, that I could respect. But why the need to defend and deflect every single thing?

Plus let’s stick on target - the issue is Hunter Biden, who is in fact a multimillionaire, and whether Trump could legitimately comment on him. The answer is yes, and efforts to deflect this to Trump’s kids are the same sort of redirection I’ve commented on in the past.
Totally not persuasive.

The whole Hunter Biden thing is just a distraction.

Fun fact - Hunter Biden could start a charity in New York.

If the situation was reversed,you don’t think President Trump would off his best wishes to Biden?
No, considering how he responded here.

Everything Trump said about hunter was 100% true.
Completely False: It has been fact checked.

VERDICT​

False. Hunter Biden received an administrative, rather than a dishonorable, discharge from the U.S. Navy after failing a drug test. He held several jobs before his father became vice president in 2009.

This article was produced by the Reuters Fact Check team. Read more about our fact-checking work here .

Last edited:
The whole Hunter Biden thing is just a distraction
I dont think it’s a distraction. Trump being a venal con man who uses the office to enrich his family is a strong point against him. If Biden is the same that dims his prospects as a viable “alternative.”

Ok, so you think I’m not persuasive.

The feeling is mutual and we don’t agree.

Seems I’ve seen this movie before 🙂

So maybe the word should be “deflection” instead of “distraction.”

Seriously.

Trump is not supposed to have anything to do with his businesses. Nothing. His only job is POTUS. That’s the only job he’s supposed to have.

Ivanka and Jared are White House advisors. But they still run businesses and get loans from foreign governments. (666 Fifth Avenue). And patents from foreign governments (Ivanka China)

And Kimberly Guilfoyle gets a salary from the campaign. As does Eric’s wife.

It’s supposed to be separate.

Not all converged.

Trump is not supposed to have anything to do with his businesses. Nothing. His only job is POTUS. That’s the only job he’s supposed to have.

Ivanka and Jared are White House advisors. But they still run businesses and get loans from foreign governments. (666 Fifth Avenue). And patents from foreign governments (Ivanka China)

And Kimberly Guilfoyle gets a salary from the campaign. As does Eric’s wife.

It’s supposed to be separate.

Not all converged.
And people are concerned about Hunter Biden?

Trump condemns white supremacy at least one day too late in every case - probably as the result of pressure from his advisors. It does not come naturally to him. Joe Biden does support the BLM movement (not the violent protests that erupted from the same injustice). Joe Biden does not support any Antifa violence, or violence of any kind.
Well Trump has condemned white supremacy.
Trump and white supremacy: He did condemn it and has repeatedly
Biden was kind of late in condemning the rioters.

Last edited:
Pay very close attention to 7:11 onward. When you behave badly and destroy all norms of civility and decency, like Trump did in real time in this debate, and has continued to do the past 4 years, you slowly corrode the world around you. This is no “leftist” hit piece, this is the truth about Trump’s presidency and those who continue to reward his horrible behaviour with blind loyalty.

Last edited:
Pay close attention? To what? It’s just a pundit opining that Trump has trampled on the republic - the same opinions liberals have been spewing since Trump won the 2016 election.

Last edited:
Doesn’t matter - it’s just a random opinion, the same kind we hear daily from other random talking heads.

Well, some voters said Trump was not acting right.

"By overwhelming margins, voters in Pennsylvania and Florida were repelled by President Trump’s conduct in the first general election debate, according to New York Times/Siena College surveys, as Joseph R. Biden Jr. maintained a lead in the two largest battleground states.

Over all, Mr. Biden led by seven percentage points, 49 percent to 42 percent, among likely voters in Pennsylvania. He led by a similar margin, 47-42, among likely voters in Florida."

Why is hunter biden the issue. He isnt running for any office. What makes him any issue. Why are we discussing children in the first place.

Only the people who dont like biden, and want to deflect away from trump.

Antifa for the past 4 years in PDX committing arson, assault, property damage - both public and private in organized “protests” proves it’s more than an idea.

During the last few months the use of commercial grade fireworks lobbied at city and federal facilites proves they are neither harmless nor unorganized and they are obviously well funded. Oregon is a lane state in legal 4th of July fireworks - can’t purchase any in the state that explode or leave the ground so twirlers, sparklers, snakes and those “popits” you can throw at the ground …no roman candles etc…and commercial grade are not cheap - those identifying as Antifa had them in multiples night after night after night …add to their peaceful protests the molotov cocktails, gas masks, helmets and shields …

Plus - Peaceful protests and demands to speak with decision makers occurs much earlier in the day before the big shots head home …not at and near midnight …those are not “ideas” that is Antifa in action …not merely since George Floyd but for years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back