Protestant vs Orthodox - who's closer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is always a matter of language use. Worship includes adoration of God and veneration of saints.
I think there’s a pretty clear consensus among Catholics on this forum, across many threads where this exact same thing has come up and people other than me have responded, that “worship” is the wrong English word to use when we talk about Mary and the saints.

In (Roman) Catholic churches, Orthodox Christians may commune. Does that make the Catholic Church relativist?
Well firstly, that is an exception allowed for good of souls not necessarily a rule… and even then by communing at Catholic Church they acknowledge Catholic Church and Her teachings by replying “Amen” when receiving Body of Christ. To even attempt this from Orthodox perspective means to acknowledge Catholic Church.

In neither Orthodox Church or Catholic Church exists Branch Theory (that Church of Christ is not in visible communion with itself fully). It may be unofficial and somewhat common position in Orthodoxy but that does not change Orthodox Church does not teach that. One mark of the Church is being “One”. That basically is why we view Protestantism as Relativism in one sense or another.

I don’t think you have understood the nature of relativism or why it is incompatible with Catholicism.

The whole point of relativism is that it enables one to take almost any position according to one’s perception of the circumstances or the meaning of a teaching.
That is exactly what I said above. If Protestants were relativist, They could all be Lutheran, for example,and just reject the parts of the Augsburg Confession they don’t like, or be Catholic and ignore parts of the Catechism.
They’re not, because to one degree or another, doctrines matter.

Well firstly, that is an exception allowed for good of souls not necessarily a rule… and even then by communing at Catholic Church they acknowledge Catholic Church and Her teachings by replying “Amen” when receiving Body of Christ. To even attempt this from Orthodox perspective means to acknowledge Catholic Church.
It doesn’t change the fact that the invitation is open to someone not in communion with the Bishop of Rome.
One mark of the Church is being “One”.
Amen. If one confesses the creeds, one confesses One Church.

They’re not, because to one degree or another, doctrines matter.
…and because they don’t as in denominational Churches. Some prefer to not be bound by doctrines.
It doesn’t change the fact that the invitation is open to someone not in communion with the Bishop of Rome.
Fair enough, but then if Orthodox Christian in his heart accepts Papal teachings he is in peace with Catholic Church through informal communion. Receiving Eucharist in Catholic Church basically means doing so.
Amen. If one confesses the creeds, one confesses One Church.
I see. That is what we would call Branch Theory and therefore Relativism, but I understand that it is not Protestant view.

Perhaps that is true for limited amount of Protestant denominations (such as Lutherans)… however many others simply do not care.
You should hear some of the derision aimed at Lutherans at times, and you would find that many do care. More than once I’ve been called a “Romanist”, “Catholic light”, etc.

I’ll not belabor this, when terms line “confusion”, “anarchy”, “relativism” are thrown around, it is often entire polemical, lacking in charity and accuracy.

Last edited:
You should hear some of the derision aimed st Lutherans at times, and you would find that many fo care. More than once I’ve been called a “Romanist”, “Catholic light”, etc.
I understand that. Some are hard-line anti-Catholic and also denounce all Protestants that have any resemblance to Catholic Church. I am quite sure about Calvinist-Lutheran polemics.
I’ll not belabor this, when terms line “confusion”, “anarchy”, “relativism” are thrown around, it is often entire polemical, lacking in charity and accuracy.
I did not mean to be uncharitable. I am just stating that from Catholic viewpoint where everything is organized and in communion with the Church or not in communion at various degrees, Protestant idea of “One” as mark of the Church does sound relativistic. It is simply in comparison to what we are used to. What did you mean by Creeds if I may ask? I just now realized you wrote “creeds” not “Creed” (plural vs singular).

Last edited:
Apostles, Nicene, Athanasian.
I see. I guess Orthodoxy might have problem with Athanasian Creed, and our profession of Nicene Creed differs by Filioque clause too. Well then again, if the essence stays the same, I guess that is what matters.

Interestingly enough, Armenian Orthodox Church has completely different Creed than any other Church on the planet. It’s quite interesting how development of Creeds went. I wasn’t aware Lutherans profess Athanasian Creed (then again, no reason not to I guess). Thank you for information.

40.png
JonNC:
Apostles, Nicene, Athanasian.
I see. I guess Orthodoxy might have problem with Athanasian Creed, and our profession of Nicene Creed differs by Filioque clause too. Well then again, if the essence stays the same, I guess that is what matters.

Interestingly enough, Armenian Orthodox Church has completely different Creed than any other Church on the planet. It’s quite interesting how development of Creeds went. I wasn’t aware Lutherans profess Athanasian Creed (then again, no reason not to I guess). Thank you for information.
My pleasure. I often enjoy reading your posts. They provide an enjoyable perspective.

As for the Creeds, the three Creeds make up the first symbols in the Lutheran confessions, intentionally so. We believe there in One true Church, that it is visible, found where the word is preached and the sacraments administered.

Interestingly, I’ve heard some Lutherans argue against the Filioque because it was included in the west without benefit of an ecumenical council.

Interestingly, I’ve heard some Lutherans argue against the Filioque because it was included in the west without benefit of an ecumenical council.
I have read about some Protestant groups removing Filioque (and perhaps also Old Catholics? I am not sure) for this very reason. Interesting concept if you ask me, but quite logical if indeed Pope does not have authority to change the Creed (less logical if you realize local change was permitted, but still).
As for the Creeds, the three Creeds make up the first symbols in the Lutheran confessions, intentionally so.
I see. It does make perfect sense since beliefs encompassed by those Creeds are not what we would disagree at (especially considering Filioque indeed is accepted). As I said, some within Orthodoxy would probably have a problem with Athanasian Creed though… though for no other reason than opposing Filioque theology (again, not as valid position because theology was what Church Fathers professed). Athanasian Creed actually contains nothing against Orthodoxy if we do realize that their objection is against Filioque being added without a Council and not as a theological opinion… but as of today one can hardly find which is really the position of Orthodoxy on this matter.
My pleasure. I often enjoy reading your posts. They provide an enjoyable perspective.
Thank you, I am flattered. I also enjoy reading your posts. I used to disregard more traditional forms of Protestantism such as Lutheranism before, but I think your posts have cleared some stuff up for me and now I understand your position better. I don’t necessarily agree with it, but it doesn’t seem as illogical as it used to before I knew some things about Lutheran views (I was under impression that Protestantism is itself akin to being non-denominational which is quite far from Truth).

Last edited:
40.png
Vico:
This is always a matter of language use. Worship includes adoration of God and veneration of saints.
I think there’s a pretty clear consensus among Catholics on this forum, across many threads where this exact same thing has come up and people other than me have responded, that “worship” is the wrong English word to use when we talk about Mary and the saints.
Yet the Catechism does not avoid it:
971 "All generations will call me blessed ": “The Church’s devotion to the Blessed Virgin is intrinsic to Christian worship.” … This very special devotion . . . differs essentially from the adoration which is given to the incarnate Word …

Last edited:
The Catechism phrase that you quoted does not say or even imply that Catholics “worship Mary”.

With that, I will leave this discussion, as it seems to me you are just muddying the waters here and I don’t think belaboring this discussion is helpful to those who genuinely don’t understand or have a wrong impression of hyperdulia.

Catholics do NOT worship Mary. Period. Final.

God bless.

The Catechism phrase that you quoted does not say or even imply that Catholics “worship Mary”.

With that, I will leave this discussion, as it seems to me you are just muddying the waters here and I don’t think belaboring this discussion is helpful to those who genuinely don’t understand or have a wrong impression of hyperdulia.

God bless.
What we give to God is called adoration and what we give to the saints is called veneration. Both are forms of worship. This is just a fact.

Merriam-Webster, [to] worship (transitive verb)
1 : to honor or show reverence for as a divine being or supernatural power
2 : to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion
The second worship is how it is used for the saints and you can see it here from Modern Catholic Dictionary:
Worship as veneration also has three principal forms, whereby the angels and saints are honored for their sanctity, asked to intercede before the divine Majesty, and imitated in their love and service of God.
Action​
God​
Saints​
Worship​
Yes​
Yes​
Adore​
Yes​
No​
Venerate​
No​
Yes​
@Montrose

Last edited:
What we give to God is called adoration and what we give to the saints is called veneration. Both are forms of worship. This is just a fact.
This seems to be a confusion of definition as @Vico states vs. connotation which @Tis_Bearself contends against.

The definition as given by @Vico is correct etymologically, in that I do worship Mary, but I also worship God, worship the altar, etc. Because the proper English definition can mean either adoration or veneration, both are good English grammar.

However, I agree with @Tis_Bearself arguing against the connotation of “worship” which has come to mean for many people “adoration”. In that sense it is entirely inappropriate. Because I do not “adore” Mary and the Saints, that is reserved for God alone.

Perhaps a way to resolve this problem is to simply use “veneration” for Mary and the Saints, and “adoration” for God the Holy Trinity, at least until we can re-educate the Anglophone world on proper English grammar and usage. 😀

Yet the Catechism does not avoid it:
CATHOLICS DO NOT WORSHIP MARY OR ANY OTHER SAINT.
The English language edition of the CCC uses the word ‘worship’ (both noun and verb) to translate three distinct Latin words: the nouns cultus and adoratio and the verb adorare.

Cultus refers to a system of rites, rituals and practices that can either be offered to God as adoration or to Mary, the saints and angels as veneration. Sometimes cultus is directly translated using the English word ‘cult’ as in para. 1566 eucharisticus cultus ‘the Eucharistic cult’, or ‘devotion (to Mary)’ as in para. 971.

Adoratio and adorare is that particular devotion which is due to God alone. Sometimes the Catechism uses direct borrowings in English for translation: ‘adoration’ and ‘to adore’.

Because of the variation in translation, it can be sometimes unclear as to what ‘worship’ refers. It doesn’t help that in daily discourse, ‘worship’ is almost exclusively used in the sense of adoratio/adorare rather than cultus. Using ‘the cult of Mary’ (cultus Mariae) in English is even worse due to the connotations of the word ‘cult’ in English.

All in all, I think it’s mostly a case of selecting whichever translation is appropriate to the audience/interlocutor with minimal opportunity for misinterpretation.

Catholics worship God alone. We do NOT worship Mary or the saints. That would be a mortal sin against the First Commandment.

"Unfortunately, many non-Catholics appear unable or unwilling to recognize these distinctions. They confidently assert that Catholics “worship” Mary and the saints, and, in so doing, commit idolatry. This is patently false, but the education in anti-Catholic prejudice is so strong that one must patiently explain that Catholics do not worship anyone but God—at least given the contemporary use of the term. The Church is very strict about the fact that latria , adoration—what contemporary English speakers call “worship”—is to be given only to God."

Above is extract from linked article.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back