Purgatory

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Yikes!! How many of those books/booklets have you been able to read? (All of them?)"
I have read

Purgatory: Read Me or Rue It​

I also have a booklet beside me called Handbook for the HOLY SOULS IN PURGATORY waiting to be read.
 
I just tried to go through about two years of comments on a topic that is important to me for many reasons.
To sum up my thoughts, which may have been better expressed by others, ever since becoming a Catholic I've had this analogy of purgatory.
When we confess our sins we are forgiven by Jesus' sacrifice for us. The trouble is that the stains of those sins remain.
For some of us we merely have to give our hands a quick rinse before seeing the Beatific Vision.
For others we need a long hot bath with lots of rather painful scrubbing to remove those stains.

I still remember our former priest saying that we should strive to avoid purgatory. In my mind that would involve actually asking God to suffer in this life rather than having to be cleansed after we die ... perhaps even preferring martyrdom to an easy life.
 
Back
Top