Teenage girls watching young gay men put on makeup. Is this harmful?

• Thread starter Thread starter manyquestionman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, when I think of gay behavior, I think of men pretty much advertising that they are gay and make it a point to stand out as much as possible with their social and sexual deviancy in a rather stomach-churning sort of way.
There must be a lot of that about. Sexual deviancy. Stomach churning…

If a girl needs a man on YouTube to show her girl things, my question is, “Why?”

To begin with - and I know few will agree with me - but girls should not really be using makeup to begin with, except in special cases.

Secondly, consuming content which involves cross-dressing (and this is really what is occurring, no? men who like to look like women showing girls how to look like women?) not only tacitly promotes the “artist” who is wrapped up in this sin and encourages its continuation, but it also can slowly (or quickly) normalize this sin (and its relatives) in the mind of the viewer.

Last edited:
There are many gay Youtubers out there that focus on skincare, hair and makeup. I watch some of them and their knowledge has been incredibly helpful.

Your average girl will watch a range of Youtubers. It’s rare for them to only watch one YouTube channel for makeup.

I’m not a teenage girl though. I would be cautious over them idolizing anybody online. Even the straight girls on YouTube. Usually these girls are into people like James because of their ‘humor’ and personality (or at least that’s my assumption because many I’ve seen don’t even wear that much of makeup to begin with).

The main problem would be girls idolizing and imitating people. Not necessarily whether it’s wrong or right to watch ____ put on eyeshadow. That’s something parents should keep a look out for.

Last edited:
f a girl needs a man on YouTube to show her girl things, my question is, “Why?”
One big reason is that when you’re a teenage girl and insecure about your looks, you may be more comfortable watching a young man, who is not your competition in the looks or attracting-straight-men department, than watching a pretty young girl who just demoralizes you because you figure you will never look as good as her in a million years.
Also, as Lea stated, the most popular artists, who may be guys, are engaging and fun on camera and are fun to watch because of their personalities and how they present their material. They often have guests in their videos who are also fun to watch.
To begin with - and I know few will agree with me - but girls should not really be using makeup to begin with, except in special cases.
That’s a whole other issue. We start the thread from the premise that the girl has permission from her parents to use makeup. If you can’t accept that, then it’s pretty obvious that you’re going to object to a makeup video whether it’s a guy or a girl doing it, so your comments are a moot point.

Last edited:
I think of men pretty much advertising that they are gay and make it a point to stand out as much as possible with their social and sexual deviancy in a rather stomach-churning sort of way.
Well, I get the point that you have pretty strong objections to gay men, or least gay men who, as you see it, “advertise” that they are gay.

It would be less of an issue, or in some cases no issue at all, if it were a woman.

To be honest, I feel like I am in a room full of funhouse mirrors. We are wondering whether it is generally a healthy thing for young girls to watch overtly homosexual men put on makeup. Hello… it is not. Can you imagine any saint, ever, suggesting that such a thing would be conducive to holiness?

If you regard makeup skill as fun or as an art form, there’s nothing unholy about it. It’s as holy as any other neutral secular pastime.

Most young girls aren’t interested in being little nuns or little St Gemma Galganis who ignore all makeup and fashion and secular pursuits, and the Church does not require them to do so. I also don’t think that level of sacrifice should be forced on a young person, as it is likely to have an opposite effect of driving them away from the Church.

Last edited:
To be honest, I feel like I am in a room full of funhouse mirrors.
That is how I often feel as well when discussing our culture and politics with other Catholics: how we rationalize our compromises, and because of how weird and insane our culture has become, it’s inevitably going to affect the people living in it. The only way to get out of the funhouse entirely is to leave the culture, though, and enter a religious community. Otherwise we do have to pare down the requirements of our faith to discern what is necessary and parse out how much of the world is acceptable for us to immerse ourselves in.

Last edited:
If it’s really a “requirement,” then “paring down” is called sin, or laxism as a habit…

I agree though - get away from all of it… I can tell you, it’s great!

Last edited:
I think what a lot of posters here are genuinely trying to do is discern those requirements though, so as not to overburden consciences. We are currently entering a new stage of funhouse where neurotic guilt is thrown at us for not following the politically correct dictates of the insane culture itself. Discerning what is truly a sin from what is not has never been more important.

Last edited:
i think its garish and sort of like being at a circus staring at a two headed cow. I think its unchristian to give attention to a gay man wearing makeup who is perhaps subconsciously seeking help .

Can you imagine any saint, ever, suggesting that such a thing would be conducive to holiness
Nobody is “suggesting” young girls should only watch gay men put on makeup.

They’re just saying it’s not inherently sinful to do so. If a young girl is just watching these videos to learn a specific technique, do you honestly think she has sinned? Or her parents?
The problem will arise if the person is actively encouraging sinful behaviour and that’s on the parents to ensure such content isn’t allowed until they’re at an appropriate age. Even then the issue is with the things being said, not a gay man with lipstick.
Joe Rogan said his teenage daughter watches a popular gay make up artist on YouTube. These people in his words are getting more views than almost anyone. What’s the fascination? What’s the harm? Gay men like teenage girls probably like makeup. So what’s the big deal if for some reason a teenage girl prefers to watch a gay man put on makeup? Still why?
Anyway back to the main post. I’m sure Joe Rogan doesn’t give a hoot about Catholic morality. He probably just finds the idea really silly (his daughter watching someone caking on makeup, with subpar humour and jokes). I could be watching any makeup tutorial and my dad will feel the same way about the fact that they’re making tons of money just from it.

The “straight female” makeup YouTubers are not as entertaining as the YouTubers joe have in mind, to simply put it. They’re less focused on entertaining, and are more focused on educating. Older women generally watch these videos to learn the techniques, but younger girls tend to watch it for the personalities.

There’s also the “YouTube drama” that drives in views, and well I don’t have to explain why kids love that.

There may be some who would argue that watching these people will normalise homosexuality. Well, I don’t agree that watching these videos normalise it more than a friendship with a gay person in class. And forbidding the latter wouldn’t be very Christian, lol.

I grew up watching videos of openly gay men discuss haircare and makeup, and I guess all I have to say is that if the child is getting proper Catholic teaching at home and the parents are involved with discussing these issues with patience and warmth…i don’t see the issue here.

I personally can’t stand James or Jeffrey because of the petty drama they keep getting themselves into.

Last edited:
The LGBTQ community openly admits that they hope such things will encourage children to become one of them.
I think you must have misunderstood. One of the core ideas in the whole LGBT thing is that sexuality is innate. You are “born that way”, to use a common phrase. You can’t “hope a kid will become gay” because being gay is not a choice. You either are or you aren’t. A kid could no more deliberately change their sexual orientation than he or she could could will their eye color to change.

I never said it is “intrinsically evil.” However, someone did once say, “‘All things are lawful,’ but not all things are helpful.” A few lines before, he also talks about something quite to the point… See 1 Corinthians 6… also chapter 10 of the same Epistle. I’m sure there will be some counterargument - of course, my counterargument will just be Phillipians 4:8… And we can go on and talk about whether in fact it is even a good thing to be “entertained” by the “gay personality.” Well… I’ll just say it is a bad thing to be charmed by effeminacy in men; it’s not a good thing for men to act like women, or to find such a thing appealing. And I suppose one will say, after petitioning that “attraction isn’t action,” which misses the point about being positively entertained by a side-effect of a vice that is immediately identifiable with it, “But you should still be nice/be friends/etc.” - all fine, but not my point. When a “proper accident” (effeminate/flamboyant personality) of a grave disorder (homosexuality) becomes the focal point, there is a problem. One should be nice/be friends/etc. in spite of the disorder and its effects, not because of it, as if it were actually something good. People are in fact more than their “inclinations” - so we should get past that and focus on the person. Letting impressionable young minds be “entertained” in the way being described in fact runs counter to this… it does indeed “normalize” it, in a soft way.

I think that’s all I will contribute here.

-K

Last edited:
We could argue that makeup is immodest and vain anyway, and no one should wear it. It’s a cultural norm now for over a century. It was popular in ancient times but the church discouraged it as sinful and immoral. Fashion changed after the Enlightenment, and aristocratic men started wearing wigs and makeup in the 18th century, although the more enthusiastic were denigrated as effeminate fops, especially in reaction to the “maccaroni” trend in the 1760s. The fashion culture changed again to a more modest style in the 19th century, and makeup was mostly associated with prostitutes in the Victorian era.

Last edited:
Yes… but some distinctions must be made. As usual, Thomas is helpful…

-K

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are also attracted to JC and JS because they find the drama surrounding them entertaining. Personally, it’s turned me off from watching either of them. I’m really into Wayne Goss lately. Totally drama free and he seems like a really great guy.

Yeah, Jeffree Starr in particular has gotten so deep into drama the last couple months, I can’t even follow what’s going on.
Some viewers probably love watching it unfold like a reality show or soap opera. I’m not big on reality TV either.

I will check out Wayne. I don’t wear makeup any more, I did when I was younger and more interested in being fashionable generally, but I still think it’s fun to see the different looks people achieve with contouring and such.

I don’t think teenage girls should watch any gay person on YouTube. Obviously, you can’t help what they see at school, but you can try to give them good ideas about femininity and masculinity at home. Then later, they’ll see it’s an aberration for a man to even think about makeup unless he’s on camera or on the stage. It’s an aberration for a man to act effete.

So when my sister allowed her son to dye his hair pink, I thought that was a mistake. Another son she allowed to put on a blonde wig. Another mistake. You have to let them know these things are bad.
If I had a teenage daughter, I would be encouraging her to be the very best version of herself, and to channel her admiration and interest towards the idea of strong, faithful, intelligent, decent Catholic young men who are “going places” in life, not watching gay men in videos putting on makeup. I would have every hope that, when she is of an age to be able to consider such a thing, she would find one of these men to marry.

My son and I have many conversations about what is wholesome and worthwhile to watch online, and what is not. And I am trying my best to raise him to be the kind of man I described above, and to encourage him to find that kind of young woman. It’s a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back