Unofficial Election Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulinVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of coverage kills tens of thousands a year. People can’t get care because they can’t afford it. We need to switch to the system that provides coverage and care for everyone, and also happens to save hundreds of billions of dollars a year.

Lack of coverage kills tens of thousands a year. People can’t get care because they can’t afford it. We need to switch to the system that provides coverage and care for everyone, and also happens to save hundreds of billions of dollars a year.
My point is that what people need is care. Subsidizing coverage at 100% for someone who can’t pay copays or or deductibles doesn’t help.

My point is that what people need is care. Subsidizing coverage at 100% for someone who can’t pay copays or or deductibles doesn’t help.
There wouldn’t be copays or deductibles in a single-payer system. That’s why it’s called “single-payer”.

Last edited:
There wouldn’t be copays or deductibles in a single-payer system. That’s why it’s called “single-payer”.
I get really queasy talking about single payer, mainly because our government can’t manage anything complex.

Plus, we have to honest. Half of the people in the country don’t pay federal income taxes. That’s because they don’t make enough money to. You can’t add addition payroll taxes on them, and they can’t afford federal income taxes.

How do you pay for it, and how do you convince the people who are paying that they should subsidize half the country?

Last edited:
Half of the people in the country don’t pay federal income taxes. That’s because they don’t make enough money to. You can’t add addition payroll taxes on them, and they can’t afford federal income taxes.
Yet somehow Medicaid exists and is paid for.
How do you pay for it, and how do you convince the people who are paying that they should subsidize half the country?
You pay for it by switching to the system that saves $200 billion a year, and you don’t have to convince people to subsidize half the country, they’re already subsidizing half the country. Nothing would change except spending less money on health care.

Last edited:
Two things:

First off, federal spending is different nowadays than in the past. Look into modern monetary theory (MMT).
Second, there’s other ways of raising revenue if a necessity. The Tobin Tax, land value taxation, etc.

Yet somehow Medicaid exists and is paid for.
Medicaid is paid out of federal income taxes and a little state money. Looking for a point to that comment.
You pay for it by switching to the system that saves $200 billion a year, and you don’t have to convince people to subsidize half the country, they’re already subsidizing half the country. Nothing would change except spending less money on health care.
I don’t believe that for a minute. And, anyway, $200 billion doesn’t mean anything in light of annual healthcare spending of $3.8 trillion.

I’m all for bold solutions, but, you have to take into account our current private payer system and what to do with the hiospitals and insurance companies.

Medicaid is paid out of federal income taxes and a little state money. Looking for a point to that comment.
The point is responding to you saying “poor people don’t pay taxes, how is the government going to raise taxes to pay for their health care” by pointing out the government already pays for or subsidizes the health care of poor people.
I don’t believe that for a minute.
Don’t listen to me, listen to Koch-funded conservative think tanks.
And, anyway, $200 billion doesn’t mean anything in light of annual healthcare spending of $3.8 trillion.
I personally consider $200 billion to be a sum of money worth saving but hey, I’m not a politician with insurance industry donors to funnel public money to.
I’m all for bold solutions, but, you have to take into account our current private payer system and what to do with the hiospitals and insurance companies.
Any hospitals that couldn’t function under a single payer system should just be taken over by the government, and current insurance industry workers could be put to work administrating the new system or given unemployment until they find work in the booming economy that would result from a switch to single payer.

Any hospitals that couldn’t function under a single payer system should just be taken over by the government, and current insurance industry workers could be put to work administrating the new system or given unemployment until they find work in the booming economy that would result from a switch to single payer.
The 5th amendment protects people and corporations: “nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation”.

I could argue that United Healthcare Group alone is worth a trillion dollars, based on yearly revenue of $250 billion

I could argue that United Healthcare Group alone is worth a trillion dollars, based on yearly revenue of $250 billion
As I said, the government should take over hospitals that can’t function. Hospital groups stop being worth a trillion dollars if they aren’t profitable.

As I said, the government should take over hospitals that can’t function. Hospital groups stop being worth a trillion dollars if they aren’t profitable.
They are one of the biggest insurance companies in the country. You can’t take their business away from them without compensation.

Just figure that into your startup costs. Probably between $25 and $50 trillion for all impacted companies.

Last edited:
They are one of the biggest insurance companies in the country. You can’t take their business away from them without compensation.
I can see where your confusion is. The constitution protects private property, not business.

No they aren’t. A hospital group/insurance conglomerate would be free to continue providing health care at their hospitals and selling insurance premiums for their services if they wanted to. They’d just stop being profitable without the billions of dollars of public money propping up their business.

The private property at issue would be the physical buildings and equipment in the hospitals. The government would pay for those when it nationalizes the hospitals.

Last edited:
Having shared a public bathroom with transgender women, this is a non-issue. Transgender people are already using public restrooms. I have been curious about them but never fearful.

Biden might surprise us. At least he is talking about unity. He needs to start showing some leadership on Covid-19. Trump showed zero.

No worries the covid won’t be talked about much now if Biden prevails

Last edited:
If the infected and death rates keep climbing then that seems unlikely.

Covid is an international phenomenon. It would be pretty remarkable if it was somehow faked just for the sake of the US election.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back