Where are the clothes?

• Thread starter Thread starter Momof9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t much care for the way women are dressed these days either. However, just coming out of highschool last year, i completely understand the societal pressure involved with being a young women. Everyday young women are bombarded on TV, magazines, music videos, that to look beautiful, sexy, hot, whatever is the main priority when young, because you lose it when you are older. Of course i disagree with this, but i am also guilty to giving in to these pressures while in my teens. Teenagers have the worst self-esteem, i know i did, because we are constantly subconsciously told that we have to be thin, wear tons of make-up, have our hair pefectly straightened, and be a lust object to every man in exsistence to be worth while. It’s so wrong. So those of you with daughters around this age, don’t blame them for wanting to fit in blame the corporations that advertise this so-called “acceptance”. Those of you with sons, teach them what a real women is.

As a family on a tight budget with four children and one income Lands End is too costly for us, we have one daughter almost eleven and three boys and due to a very dangerous last pregnancy we have been told not to have more children, anyways, I could see spending more on boy clothes as they all get passed down but with one girl we find thrift stores, walmart, target, garage sales, etc. We are lucky that our daughter likes the looser baggy jeans and pants and t-shirts that cover well and she likes big baggy sweatshirts, she is very self consious of her body and does not want to show it off. Sometimes we have to get a little here and a little there, I rarely find everything at one store or on one trip, so I’m always keeping my eyes open but it is possible and she has lots of very modest clothes that are cute and up to date and inexpensive and we donate her things to the Catholic thrift store in our town and we shop their also. 👍

My husband always says that what caught his eye was that I wore dresses and skirts. They are modest and pretty and, I think, more comfortable.

Yes, I am concerned by what the young ladies and young men are wearing these days. Not only our youth but the adults, too. An EM at our parish wore a very short dress that looked like a slip. Entirely inappropriate for someone in this ministry.

God bless,
oremus

You can get great deals on name brand clothes on ebay, too. Beware that you have to plow through a LOT of appalling styles to find what you want, but you can always do a search for Lands End. I am still in the Gymboree phase of my daughter’s life, and luckily, they are adding sizes for older girls.

I am having a bit of a problem with the early sexualization of our children. Its not just the immodest dress that bothers me. I was at Toys R Us the the other day and was casually looking through a display of posters. They were clearly geared toward very ‘little’ girls. Large colorful but mostly pink affairs with ponies and bears and happy thoughts. Things a four to seven year old would like.

I was thinking how cute and innocent it all was when right in the middle there was a series of posters of actor Orlando Bloom. (he was Legolas in LoTR and Will Turner in the Pirates of the Caribbean) I have NOTHING against Mr. Bloom but it just disturbed me to see those posters there. I might just be over reacting. I know young girls have celebrity crushes…but when they are THAT :confused: :confused: Young :eek: ?

I am lucky that I had boys before girls, so my daughter never wanted frilly girly stuff, or she couldn’t keep up with her brothers.

We have a rock band that uses my attic for practice, so we get a lot of girls hanging around. If they show up in skimpy clothes, I offer them an oversize Tshirt to put on. They either put it on or go home.

My son’s currecnt girlfriend is a cheerleader and wears as little as possible. If she shows too much skin he tells her to go back in the house and change, cuase he will not take eher out in public.

That’s excellent!! Good for your son!! When i first started dating my boyfriend, i felt it almost necessary to try and dress “sexy” to keep him. Then one day, he picked me up and said, “you know, you don’t have to wear that…you look beautiful just being who you are!”…Since then, i haven’t fallen victim to these fashion trends…I either make my own clothes or by the less revealing clothes at the mall. I lean toward the gothic persuasion (new discussion altogether), because that is just the way i am. Plus, when you walk around looking like a callgirl, people make really nasty remarks like s**t etc. and you can’t say anything back to them because you know that is what you look like. When you dress in all black with some black make-up and a few peircings, people call you devil-worshipper and there are a lot of things you can say to that!!

Last summer I was shocked when I took my then 11-year-old daughter out to buy shorts for summer. It seems that “hot pants” had made their re-entry into the “fashion” world. We couldn’t find even one pair that was appropriate – even my daughter agreed.

Mary is now 12 and has matured quite a lot physically this past year. This summer she’s been wearing long pants or my shorts. I hate to think we have to shop in the “old ladies” section for her shorts, but right now that seems to be the only option. (sigh) 😦

Land’s End has an overstock site that has much better prices. Just go to landsend.com and click on the overstocks link at the top of the page.
Hanna Andersson is good, but can be pricey, shop the sales.
hannaandersson.com

Here are 2 more sites 🙂 with modest clothes for sale
simplymodest.com/
modestapparelusa.com/

If you’re into sewing here’s a good site for modest patterns.
modestpatterns.com/

This site links to other sites that sell modest clothes.
proudmommy.tripod.com/shopping.html

There are many other modest clothing sites out there, just use your internet search engine.

Also here’s a link to the story about the 11 year old who wrote to Nordstrom’s about modest clothes
us.catholic.net/belief_and_business/template_channel.phtml?channel_id=20

One thing you might consider if you haven’t already is to get together with other women who have daughters and do a parish fashion show featuring modest fashions. Local stores like Land’s End and Dilliards are often eager to provide the clothes and models (sometimes the daughters are the models). Then you put an announcement in the bulletin inviting all the young women and their mothers. Offer refereshments and door prizes, perhaps Pure Love booklets from CA can be distributed too. The key, however is adequate promotion. It helps a lot to have the pastor on board who can speak from the pulpit about it.

I am on a college campus and literally walk around outside staring at my toes.

However, most of the women that attend my chapel dress modestly. It is a blessing. If I feel comfortable enough with them, I thank them for the way they dress. To this I have received a couple of helpful replies:

One woman makes her own clothes. This way she can wear modest clothes, and avoid the hassle of finding out which stores employ overseas sweatshops. As an additional benefit, she saves a bunch of money. Another woman shops almost exclusively at second-hand stores, which generally do not carry the latest trends.

Hope this helps!

I am glad to see this thread! My poor 12 yr old dd really hates skin tight, skimpy clothing. (Thank you Jesus!!!) We really have to really pick over different stores - Old Navy, Gap, Eddie Bauer and Nordstoms are her favorites. Lucky for us, the more modest stuff doesn’t sell, so it is usually deeply discounted:D .

As a older teenage boy 19 I can say that I do not find the skimpy clothes that young girls wear these days appealing at all. Walking to class sometimes I have to turn my head away to keep from falling into sin, come on! Some things no one should see unless they are married and then no one else should see it. I do not value women on how much or little cotheing they wear. Please encourage (force in nessacerary) your children to cover up. Thank you!

As the mother of 5 daughters ranging in age from 20 down to 4, I understand and feel your pain! Sigh. And “they” wonder why the world is the way it is! Here are a few other websites:

www.littletouchofelegance.com
www.hausmutti.com (a Catholic lady who sews for you)
www.simplymodest.com (pre-owned modest dresses)
www.love2learn.com (modest swimsuits)
www.swimodest.com (modest swimsuits again)

Some of these might not cut it in terms of high fashion, but I thought I’d throw them out there.

Oh, and to prove that modesty can be learned fairly early, I have 2 sons, 6 and 2 (tomorrow). My 6 yob saw an ad in a store that pictured a woman in a bikini, and all he could say was, “Yuck! That’s disgusting!” Little pitchers have big ears, it seems.

Fiona

dream wanderer:
I am having a bit of a problem with the early sexualization of our children. Its not just the immodest dress that bothers me. :eek: ?
A pediphiles playground. What are we setting our kids up for?

I am the mother of two sons and a daughter (so far). I too am apalled by the lack of modest clothing available. Last spring about 6 months after the birth of my first son I decided to buy a new pair of jeans as my old pairs were still a little tighter than I liked after the baby, and we were planning on a camping and hiking trip. I could not find any that were not the “low rise” or hip level type variety. I ended up with my old jeans that were too tight, because, even being too tight they were more modest.

I think there are a couple of factors contributing to the way women are dressing. The feminist movement which tells us women are the same as men, deep down, most women don’t want to be considered men with different sexual organs, so they dress to emphasize that they most definitely aren’t men. While I worry about the cultural influences on my daughter, I am more worried about the effects this is having on young men today. Manhood is marginalized, female sexuality is thrown in their faces as a constant temptation and there is very little they can do about it…

40.png
mthruv5:
Two Words: Lands End. (This isn’t an ad. I just love the modest fit and quality of their clothing.)
I like Lands End clothing too but how do I get my daughter to wear them.

To see an 11 year old girl be the one to stand up and say something about clothing to a large department store is awesome! It is nice to see at least one young girl who cares about her clothing and being modest at the same time :tiphat:

I just came across this thread and I have to agree with the sad reality of our current culture trying to turn our children into cheap trashy looking streetwalkers with their less than moral clothing lines.
It saddens me to see this and I cant help but wonder about the affect this has on the moral values these children are brought up with. I mean, most parents after all would just say to themselves “oh well, yeah I dont like the clothing lines either, but what can I do? My daughter wants to be like the popular girls in school’ She will be picked on or become an outcast if she dresses like a ‘prude’ and after all, it IS only clothing”…
Are we so vain and helpless that we cant stand up and say “NO”! I refuse to let my child dress like that! and “NO, you can not wear that!”
Seems to me like we are not parenting our children when we let their peers determine what our children wear; Maybe thats why our society is so overrun with drugs, teen pregnancies, rape, child molesters, and the like!

Well my husband and I put our feet down when our girls were very young. Everytime we saw on tv or out in the community a person who was dressed or acting immodestly we pointed out our distaste and disgust to our children who then learned, not only does God not want us to dress and act like this, but it will displease my parents as well. Children are listening parents! Speak to them! Teach them! They want to obey, they just need your guidance!

Happily, our girls are growing up to be very nice young ladies we can be proud of! They are 14, 10 and 8 and they now dress modestly in proper fitting dresses that we make at home.
My suggestion for modest clothing is to find a mennonite or amish community near you and usually you will find that many of them are friendly, and very helpful in assisting with learning to sew or with patterns (plain, cape dresses are easy to make).
You can find fabric very inexpensive and calico prints make very pretty dresses!

All our best to all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back