Where are the clothes?

• Thread starter Thread starter Momof9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a nicely set up site, with lots of links to online sources for modest clothes:

modestclothes.com/

There is also a list at:

hillbillyhousewife.com/links.htm

This one has some nice sites for modest patterns, for those who sew. (The sites that sell these often have links for seamstresses’ sites. Or you can ask around; you might be surprised at who in your area would be happy to sew for you at a reasonable cost). On the other hand, Maggie (siteowner) is very much a fundamentalist, & some of her links can lead to:( people not friendly to Catholics…

This is a nicely set up site, with lots of links to online sources for modest clothes:

modestclothes.com/

There is also a list at:

This one has some nice sites for modest patterns, for those who sew. (The sites that sell these often have links for seamstresses’ sites. Or you can ask around; you might be surprised at who in your area would be happy to sew for you at a reasonable cost). On the other hand, Maggie (siteowner) is very much a fundamentalist, & some of her links can lead to:( people not friendly to Catholics…
Thank-you for the sites. It seems I have foot in mouth disease lately. After I posted last night, I looked at many of those sites. 😊 Boy do I feel silly. I didn’t realise what “modest” was. I hope I didn’t offend with my “Mormon” statement. Up until coming to this board, I’ve never known Catholics who dressed that way.

One site showed how to tie headscarves, I believe it might have been a Jewish site. I found it very intriguing. I ran out and bought some batik fabric to make my own scarves 😃 I’m interested in this modest dressing. Hope I’m not offending anyone by saying this, I think I might try it.

Kim

I do a lot of shopping at Macy’s (not in the juniors section :eek: I pretty much had to give up on the juniors section :D) there are almost always sales on weekends and I would say at least 65% of the ladies clothing is modest and stylish.

Thank-you for the sites. It seems I have foot in mouth disease lately. After I posted last night, I looked at many of those sites. 😊 Boy do I feel silly. I didn’t realise what “modest” was. I hope I didn’t offend with my “Mormon” statement. Up until coming to this board, I’ve never known Catholics who dressed that way.

One site showed how to tie headscarves, I believe it might have been a Jewish site. I found it very intriguing. I ran out and bought some batik fabric to make my own scarves 😃 I’m interested in this modest dressing. Hope I’m not offending anyone by saying this, I think I might try it.

Kim
My SIL wears long skirts and 3/4 sleeves for shirts. Her daughters also wear below the knee skirts, but they can wear t-shirts with no pictures on them.
They are Catholic. Many Catholic families are changing there view on things, not all.
I am yet to do this, though I’m researching it. My SIL has a book she thinks I should read, though I doubt I’m ready for it.
I also did not say anything about hoochy clothes. If your family wears pants, that’s your choice. Just make sure they are pants that are so tight you have denim colored skin. Or shirts that show it all. 🙂
I am beginning to believe that my body is for my husband to see and no one else. 😉

(I wasn’t offended. I’m still on the fence but leaning the opposite way that I used to)

I love the hillbillyhousewife! Well… her cooking tips, homeschooling tips, and other stuff.
Yes she is fundamentalist. but if you know your stuff you know what to watch out for. Right?

I dunno… my problem with most of those sites is the very old style of dressing. I would prefer to look modern while being modest.
I just can’t do jumpers and culottes.

I dunno… my problem with most of those sites is the very old style of dressing. I would prefer to look modern while being modest.
I just can’t do jumpers and culottes.
Yep. There seems to be an idea that modest=pre-WW1 and that whatever is normally worn today is immodest by definition. While I’m no fan of current fashions (they can go play on the railway track, I’ll never wear most of the stuff), that notion is unhealthy.

Yep. There seems to be an idea that modest=pre-WW1 and that whatever is normally worn today is immodest by definition. While I’m no fan of current fashions (they can go play on the railway track, I’ll never wear most of the stuff), that notion is unhealthy.
I think the 50’s styles that are coming/have been coming back are quite lovely, and very modest. I have a few fuller skirted **** dresses in varying colors that I wear with a cami underneath. The circle skirts are fun too. I have one in denim that I pair with t-shirts for a more casual look.
But the hippie look (long skirts and tunics) is fun too!

I think the 50’s styles that are coming/have been coming back are quite lovely, and very modest. I have a few fuller skirted **** dresses in varying colors that I wear with a cami underneath. The circle skirts are fun too. I have one in denim that I pair with t-shirts for a more casual look.
But the hippie look (long skirts and tunics) is fun too!
Yep, I’ve seen a lot of that when shopping for clothes and I would actually stop for a while to look at those cute girly dummies. Dreamy. I love that style and I regret there isn’t more out in the streets. I like the guys part too and I’ve already got myself some items. 😉

Yep, hippie can be very nice as well. I “heart” tunics because I’m a classics and mediaevity junkie.

BTW, yes, the previous decades’ dresses tend to be worn with something underneath. Funny thing, it’s not like big cleavage is a modern idea. A couple decades ago in generally much more modest times, there seems to have been no problem with it.

fuller skirted wrap dress is what my post is supposed to read.
I am hoping that it posts this time.

I picked up this pattern over the weekend
store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4738=x&TI=10004&page=3

The longer length will make a great swimsuit cover-up. I’m using gauze, so I’ll probablly wear a tank top underneath when I use it as a regular shirt. I lucked out and my mom had some beautiful bridal lace for me to use. Saved myself a bundle. I’ll post some pics as soon as I’m allowed. Considering my trollish bahavior, that may be a while.

Hancock’s is having a sale on McCalls patterns. Starting on Thursday, they’ll be .99 cents. I looked at the McCalls site and they have some really cute skirts in longer lengths.

Oye… like I needed any more sewing projects.

Kim

The designs look nice, though I’d say the blue and the pink one look a bit too much like nightwear for my taste to be worn outside, even if they still look very nice. 🙂

I’m a 19-year-old boy at a public university in upstate New York, and the thought that most often occurs to me is, “Ladies! Be yourselves!”. In other words, don’t dress up and pretend. People will like you better the other way.

Unfortunately, I have also come to the conclusion that many of these girls ARE “being themselves”. :eek: Which is why I steer away from them. I NOTICE when a girl wears a modest skirt on campus, because it’s so rare. Luckily, I’m an engineering student, and the girls there tend to dress a little more modestly than, say, the liberal-arts majors.

Dressing up doesn’t have to involve baring up, hehe. They can dress up all they want, so long as it doesn’t get to their heads. 😛 Now, “sexy” stuff… I say, let’s hand them a potato sack and a rosary each for a day. 😛

A company I love is Coldwater Creek. They make good quality, classy, comfortable clothing. And they have seasonally appropriate clothing as well. What I mean by this is: the winter clothes are heavier and warm, the summer clothes are lighter fabrics. It seems a lot to ask for these days from other manufacturers, to have weather appropriate clothing. They have a website, I think it’s coldwatercreek.com, but I’m not sure. Just “google” it, as they say.
Newport News has nice clothing as well, but you have to be careful what you buy. If you combine articles of clothing properly, you can put together some very cute outfits that are also modest. They sell some vintage-style clothing that I love. :tiphat:

Luckily, I’m an engineering student, and the girls there tend to dress a little more modestly than, say, the liberal-arts majors.
Hey now! I am a liberal-arts major, and people refer to me as a crazy-hippie-English-teacher, cause I usually live in hippie skirts and long-ish T-Shorts.
I also rock the 50’s styles, as well.

This is a pretty new company, and she has some cute things!

christa-taylor.com/home

I haven’t ordered anything yet, but those I know who have say 👍 .

I also like Orvis, though it’s pricey. Nice long, full skirts though.

This is a pretty new company, and she has some cute things!

christa-taylor.com/home

I haven’t ordered anything yet, but those I know who have say 👍 .

I also like Orvis, though it’s pricey. Nice long, full skirts though.
That’s the other one I was thinking of. Very cute. I wonder if my dd’s would like those?

Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back