Where are the clothes?

• Thread starter Thread starter Momof9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find equally alarming is how sizes have changed. For example, a true size 6, say in the Juniors section, looks like a size 4. A size 8 looks like a size 6…and so on…it’s as though there is a subliminal message running through the fabric screaming at our youth…‘you’re fat if you’re a size 8.’ It’s quite sad. My daughter is 11 next month, and she is very tall. It’s very hard to find clothes for her height that don’t reveal everything, because she needs to shop in Juniors to accomodate the height issue, but she is on the slender side…she is a tom boy, and thankfully, isn’t into that ‘look.’ But, it’s all so sad to me. Skin tight this and that.

Why is society trying so hard to sexualize our youth?😦

My wife and I had an extremely difficult time finding a decent communion dress for my daughter. It wasn’t that dress shops didn’t have communion dresses; it was what the shop owners offered. It says allot about designer’s ideas of what is appropriate for a young girl when you can’t even find a modest dress for a Holy Sacrament. We had our chose of strapless, low cut, or (pardon me) provocative outfits, but very few wholesome dresses. I am glad my wife and I didn’t give-up and give-in to the marketing trends. Our school principal even made a point to personally thank us for setting an example of how a young girl should present herself for her First Holy Communion. After Sister spoke to us I felt proud, but at the same time a bit sad that so many girls were dressed as immodest ‘bridesmaids’.

Has anyone else had a similar experience :confused:
I am happy to say that, after hunting through piles of real and virtual dresses that look more like a bad example of what not to wear to church at a horrific price, SEARS.COM had the dress we needed- with sleeves and a neckline! And we found our shoes at MARSHALL’S, where the shoes were very marked down and had SIDES and COVERED TOES and LOW HEELS (maybe nobody wanted decently made shoes).

I like Lands End clothing too but how do I get my daughter to wear them.
1.) Let her pick out what she wants to wear- from Land’s End or another store that sells modest wear.
2.) It’s that or you will do the picking.

There is another thread, sort of along these lines and I posted a few links there.
I am learning to make my own clothes, and that is helping alot! I am also going into a skirts and dresses thing, but that’s just me!

forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=2068872&postcount=104

And I remember there being a post regarding First Communion dresses? Leaflet Missal has some lovely ones!
leafletonline.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=278_280_147_148
I think there needs to be a happy medium of looking too “sexy” and wearing calico print long cape dress…some of the mcall pattern are a perfect balance…It still makes a woman feel attractive without showing too much!

I know it’s a mainstream store, but I took a look at the Old Navy website and they have some cute knee-length Bermuda shorts and capri-length pants for girls, and the prices aren’t too expensive. They also had some cute longer skirts available in girls’ sizes.

Some of the things out there make me shudder. Why do we need to see everyone’s underwear? (And no, teen boys, I’m not just talking to the girls- pull up your pants and wear a belt!) I don’t even wear regular shorts in public during the summer, so I cannot imagine why some parents let their little girls run around in short-shorts, especially the ones with writing across the backside. I’m so happy that capris and Bermuda shorts are in style. They look really cute with sandals and T-shirts and are a lot more modest than standard short-shorts. Plus, they just fit better on someone who has a bit of a tush, like me; the leg openings of regular shorts flare oddly because of the way they sit over my hips. Capris fit more like regular pants.

When you dress in all black with some black make-up and a few peircings, people call you devil-worshipper and there are a lot of things you can say to that!!
I’m with you.😉

I tend to wear jeans or cargo pants in the winter and skirts or once and a while shorts in the summer. But I love my spaghetti strap tops. I wear sports bras all the time which kinda flatten me out and holds it all in so if i’m wearing a spaghetti strap top, nothing is showing. I have like one pair of tight jeans and even those are starting to get baggy on me. Most of my clothes are baggy because I’ve been lossing weight since the beginning of 8th grade (I’m finishing 10th now). Basically I weighed 203 pounds when I was 12 and 13. I weigh somewhere around 145 now. I’m really short, i’m 16 and just about the shortest one in my class. Clothes defiently were not made for me. Skirts that are suppost to be ‘short’ like 12 or 13 inches, which means on a ‘normal’ girl they would bend over and you could see all, look pretty modest on me. (I’m 5 feet exactly) Although If i can help it I prefur to wear my shortest skirts over a pair of pants or with my fishnets.

It does bother me when I see what girls are wearing these days. Although what I wear isn’t actually ‘accepted’ ethier for most people. My mom and i were in walmart, and I wasn’t paying attation (probably because I can go in there, buy black stuff, DIY it and get something better for a 1/3 of the price it would cost in Hot Topic which still sucks all my money eventually) but this woman had her daughter with her and told her daughter loud enough for my mother to hear “Don’t you ever dress like that” I was wearing a black skirt, fishnet tights, black knee high boots, a black spaghetti strap top, and a black fishnet shirt with black eye makeup. Hmm, I bet if i was wearing a michroscopic skirt and a belly shirt she wouldn’t have said anything. It’s sad.

I absolutely consider us all returning to robes every day that passes. Until some few centuries into the Church, all GOD’s People wore the exact same sort of modesty, male and female alike. Jews never would have changed that, and never did under the Old Covenant. Gentiles have been a lousy example under the New Covenant, while despising for Jews to be examples to them. And eventually even the non-Christian Jews were influenced by the immorality of pseudo-Catholics.

As a 17-year-old, I find it extremely difficult to find modest clothing. One of my favorite dresses, I either have to wear a jacket over or keep watch over the front because it can slip to show cleavage if I’m not careful. I don’t understand the low-hip trend in jeans, especially because I’m pretty skinny so any pair comes close to falling off. Usually, I just wear a big T-shirt over those, one of my big Catholic T-shirts, lol.

However, there are some stores that sell modest clothing. A store near where I live, Annie Sez, has a lot of cute skirts that come down to the floor, as well as some really cute, billowing tops. I got my skirt from there and it is gorgeous. I feel like a Spanish gypsy in it, lol. I wear it to Mass all the time.

Am I the only one with young ladies who has a difficulty finding clothes that fit modestly?
No, it’s a more general problem. Well, a general problem, simply. Some women have just accepted it as a fact and they detach themselves from what they wear or they stop caring anymore.
It seems that our culture has made it clear as to how we are to be valued as women.
Yup. That’s why modern culture can go play on the railway track.
Why must we hang out of everything we wear? Do you men like that sort of dress in our women folk?
No, not at all. I’m not a prude about one inch here or one there, but when it’s designed to be licentious, it’s different. Then I enter Preach Mode.
Do you resent it?
Oh yes, probably to the point of culpability. I try to care less, actually.
Do you allow the ladies in your life to wear the skin tight, see throughs that are up to here and down to there, with the middle hanging out !?
I have no authority to forbid anything (I would have if I had daughters, of course, but I don’t), but you can guess if I’d start a relationship with a young lady dressing that way.

Heck, I actually like the scarves some of the more conservative girls throw over their shoulders and backs, you know, like seemingly ages ago. Or long dresses. Or skirts even (not like trousers are bad).

My chief problem with revealing clothes is that they put the girl on general display and that’s not something I like. I could feel jealous - or rather threatened - if a hypothetical girlfriend dressed like that, plus, I find general display tacky. I feel that the more general the public, the more careful the clothes should be. I don’t like the notion that we’re all pals and can see each other’s underwear (not like actual pals necessarily should).
Why is society trying so hard to sexualize our youth?😦
To make the rampant sexuality look more natural and normal, and avoid embarrassing reminders that it’s not.

Like many other girls/women, I rescue some of the low cut shirts by wearing a camisole/tanktop underneath to take care of the pesky cleavage problem. I try to buy the shirts long enough that if the shirt is too short, I can use the cami/tanktop to cover my tummy/rearend. That helps me get some more use out of my not-so-modest clothes from my not-so-modest past.

I didn’t have girls, but I do have a 13 year old granddaughter. I understans that there are web sites that offer modest clothing for girls and women. Maybe you could Google for them?

Peace,
Linda

However, there are some stores that sell modest clothing. A store near where I live, Annie Sez, has a lot of cute skirts that come down to the floor, as well as some really cute, billowing tops. I got my skirt from there and it is gorgeous. I feel like a Spanish gypsy in it, lol. I wear it to Mass all the time.
Ooooh, now I wish I could find something like that! I love wearing flaring skirts-- the kind that don’t just sit there but have shape to them and look sooooo graceful-- but unfortunately they’re very hard for me to find. :crying:

Ooooh, now I wish I could find something like that! I love wearing flaring skirts-- the kind that don’t just sit there but have shape to them and look sooooo graceful-- but unfortunately they’re very hard for me to find. :crying:
Sears has got um! No, seriously! I was ELATED to find that out.

REALLY? I’ll have to check that out. My wardrobe is in great need of straightening up, clearing out, and adding to anyway.

Thanks! :cool:
They are having some crazy good sales this week (yeah,I said crazy good) so, that made me all happy and stuff.

I am doing a presentation for my Public Speaking class on Modesty (we have to present on something we see as needing to be changed within society)
I want to ask permission from people to use their comments on this thread.
I will be contacting people personally via PM, but I also wanted to give an overall- “Hey, do y’all mind?”

Thanks and God Bless!

Nope, I don’t. I can rant more especially for you if you wish, as well. 😛 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back