Wives Needing Permission to Leave the Home?

• Thread starter Thread starter _AnnoDomini
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, I’d be pretty angry at the implication that my wife has loose morals, but you’re being so ridiculous I can’t really get mad.
I didn’t see that in what I said.
But you asked and the best answer is that I don’t know you or anything about you. If the goal is to provide ridicule and amusement towards the Roman Catechism or anyone who might want to consider its teaching - I don’t think that’s the best use of this site, honestly.

If the goal is to provide ridicule and amusement towards the Roman Catechism or anyone who might want to consider its teaching - I don’t think that’s the best use of this site, honestly.
But you are acting as if the Catechism states that a woman needs permission to leave her home. Which, obviously, it does not. I mean, I suppose people could get angry at your implication that women who go for a walk are planning infidelity—but amusement is the far more charitable response.

It’s clear you are not married. You may want to reflect on your unrealistic ideas of marriage if you’re ever planning to enter that state.

I was proposing a better way for a serious discussion because I noticed many personal feelings and judgments manifested in this topic. Just a suggestion.

I am late to this thread, and have only skimmed over mist responses, but I have a question:. It seems to me everyone at least tacitly assumes the claim about the teaching in the OP is true. Could someone please give me a reference to the Catechism of Trent where it says what us claimed?
It’s in the section on the Sacrament of Matrimony; it’s found here, in the last several lines of page 347.

It’s in the section on the Sacrament of Matrimony; it’s found here , in the last several lines of page 347.
That one has the translation “go abroad” but also “never venture to leave home” - so the meaning seems clear.

I was proposing a better way for a serious discussion because I noticed many personal feelings and judgments manifested in this topic. Just a suggestion.
A good suggestion. I have noticed the same, either from myself or others, and I do not want to engage in such things.

An obedient wife will ask permission for such things. She honors her husband that way. She is obedient to him, as the Holy Scripture teaches. That’s a virtue. Modesty, humility, diligence - not obsessed with her own self and power. An obedient wife will have no problem asking permission – and if permission not granted, she accepts with obedience.
That’s virtue. It is harder, in many ways, for men to practice obedience because often they do not have someone telling them. Although that is the greatness of monastic life - where the monk must ask permission for everything and has the chance to practice obedience all the time, since he does what the abbot commands.
In family life it is similar. The good wife shows respect to her husband. She doesn’t run out and wander around, as so many do.
The husband is humiliated. “Where’s your wife”? “I have no idea”.
She renders him a loser - destroys his manhood. She is chasing her own ego-pleasures and very often her own lust. "Oh, no " she says, “I would never do that”.
It is unpleasant to hear it, but yes - you do.
I work in a big corporation. I encounter married women who flirt with men daily.
Let’s not talk about “fashion”.
Modesty, humility, obedience, fidelity - it all goes together.
Rage, rebellion, power, liberation, hostility, ridicule of God’s will and Catholic tradition, lust … it’s the same on the other side.
Frankly, my husband does not have time for such things. I would drive him crazy seeking permission for daily activities. He trusts me to handle those things within our family life that are within my purview. We are in general agreement about the direction of our family. We talk, we discuss, we consult, we live our lives. He’s working, we’re raising 6 children together. I’m competent. He has neither the time nor desire to micromanage my life. He married well, he’ll tell you.

Bill_B_NY makes very relevant points yet nobody in here is willing to take more than 5 seconds to think about what he is saying.

It is unfortunate that liberalism is running as rampant through Catholicism as it is the rest of society, and that is not for the better.

It is unfortunate that liberalism is running as rampant through Catholicism as it is the rest of society, and that is not for the better.
Well, perhaps not for the better for men.

But if anyone seriously thinks women should not go out without their husband’s “permission,” then yes, it’s difficult to have a serious discussion.

Bill_B_NY makes very relevant points yet nobody in here is willing to take more than 5 seconds to think about what he is saying.
What is being missed that hasn’t been discussed?
I agree. But is it liberalism to question whether it’s reasonable for a husband to require such strict control of his wife’s movements because he fears she’'ll be unfaithful? It’s fine to want take a more narrow interpretation of Catholic teaching about marriage if both spouses think that that is what will be best to ensure they help each other to heaven. I question whether it’s healthy to require strict control based on personal insecurities which is what he seems to be saying.

😂. Really, it’s worked for us for years and years. Neither of us gets why either partner wants to be ‘in charge.’ Two heads are definitely better than one!

So is the general consensus “spouses should know each other’s whereabouts, but the passage from the Council shouldn’t be taken too strictly because it was written in a culture where people left their homes a lot less?”

Last edited:
40.png
JSRG:
It’s in the section on the Sacrament of Matrimony; it’s found here , in the last several lines of page 347.
That one has the translation “go abroad” but also “never venture to leave home” - so the meaning seems clear.
It is not clear to me. It does not say leave the house. My house is my home, but so is my community, my city, etc. To me, “to leave home” could be to leave the family for a period of time, to be absent, perhaps overnight. Not to step outside of the house.

Getting ridicule from people here is surprisingly easy to do.
Just mention some teaching from the timeless magisterium of the Church, or time-honored moral codes from catechetical texts which informed Catholics for centuries … and they’ll “bust a gut”.
Our Lady was the most modest, most obedient - she honored her husband St. Joseph.
The modern American Catholic woman …?
Well, I know enough young men who tell me many things. And I see them for myself right here, with my own eyes.
I’m grateful most of the problem is with boomers.
The younger women (some) are actually more open to the truth of things - in spite of heavy indoctrination. Maybe because of it, they know it’s a lot of lying, and they see the damage in family life.
Meanwhile, the rest find it all very funny.
Again, Our Lady went out and about. She is NEVER once recorded as asking permission of father, husband or any man to leave the house, from the trip to see Elizabeth onward.

For that matter I cannot recall any of the many saintly women of the Bible who undertook activity outside the home asking permission to do so.

Last edited:
I can’t wait to experience marriage as a probation officer. Really adds an interesting new angle.

So is the general consensus “spouses should know each other’s whereabouts, but the passage from the Council shouldn’t be taken to strictly because it was written in a culture where people left their homes a lot less?”
And where there was a lot more danger in doing so due to things like no real police and little long-distance communication.

What good point’s?

'Women shouldn’t leave the house because when they do they do they cheat? Men do the same and at a higher rate than women, so if anything they are the gender who should.be more.confined.to the home.

‘Our Lady wouldn’t have done it’ ? As I have said several times, she and lots of other saintly womeb did so, no record of tgeor seeking peemission, so where his claim.comes from I have no idea.

perhaps you might share with us how your wife’s obedience to you plays out in day to day life, especially in the area of asking permission to step foot outside the house. Not trying to be snarky here, but why can’t anyone answer the question I’ve asked several times on this thread?
What is there to share?

I, as husband & father, am the head of my household.

What exactly do you think I’m avoiding answering? A specific example? This morning after breakfast my wife said “are you ok if I go to the gym for an hour”? I replied “Yes, enjoy”.

If I had said no then she would not have gone.

Is that what you’re looking for?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back