J
JimG
Guest
Yes, I think so. In my high school, homosexuality was entirely off our radar. The word “gay” had not been invented. I only knew one boy in the school who struck me as effeminate enough to possibly be homosexual. But he wasn’t. By the time I met him again at a reunion he was on his third wife.I agree with this. I grew up in the Ozarks, among Fundamentalists and deep woods kids who were pretty rough around the edges. The only interest I had in sports when I was in high school was that the girls attended the games and it presented an extrarodinarily good opportunity to pick one up. I never played a single sport. Never, ever was I accused of being homosexual.
Now, I do remember one guy who was pretty well considered a homosexual and one girl who was pretty well believed to be a lesbian, and for very very good reason. Never did anybody give either of them a rough time at all. But neither did either of them impose their sexuality on anybody else, by word or deed.
I think a lot of this “back in the bad old days” talk is entirely overblown if not fabricated.
In fact, there was very little bullying whatsoever. Everybody pretty much went about their business. There were cliques, but that’s about it.