This is not normal - A guide to what the next president will have to unwind

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulinVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Rhodesia fell to a foreign backed communist insurgency, which instituted terrible economic reforms, took the land from people who actually knew how to work it and gave it to those who didn’t, and basically did commie things which ruined a once prosperous country.

Trump, not being a foreign backed communist, smarter than our domestic communists, isn’t likely to make those mistakes. He may even go so far enough to remove our domestic communists/leftists/progressives from having any say in the public sphere which would be just fantastic, and hopefully usher in a Pinochet like economic miracle such as Chile experienced when a good leader rose to the top there. Rhodesia however had the opposite.

Americans are also much better armed than my Rhodesian kinsman ever were, and don’t constitute a minority rule in the US.
Great post. This is what conservatives are fighting in a nutshell.

This is what conservatives are fighting in a nutshell.
Conservatives in America are fighting to protect an apartheid regime. Got it.

The post to which I was replying talked about poverty caused by the foreign backed communist insurgents’ economic policies.

OMG, you are right. Deja Vu of South Africa of old.
Well I should specify that I don’t really think that American conservatives are doing that, I was just pointing out that it’s weird to associate the Republican Party with Rhodesia. Likewise the Democratic Party are not ZANU.
The post to which I was replying talked about poverty caused by the foreign backed communist insurgents’ economic policies.
RhodesianSon’s whole post was mostly apologism for an apartheid state. I wouldn’t identify with it too strongly.

The Democratic Party are obviously not going to carry out Mugabe’s reforms anyway. As always the way Americans on here speak about their political situation is just insane.

He may even go so far enough to remove our domestic communists/leftists/progressives from having any say in the public sphere which would be just fantastic, and hopefully usher in a Pinochet like economic miracle such as Chile experienced when a good leader rose to the top there.
Pinochet was not a leader consistent with American values. And removing those we disagree with from the public sphere is a progressive action, not an action rooted in liberty and individual rights.

Certainly. The blind sow finds an acorn occasionally. The correct answer to the hyper individualism of America is not the hyper collectivism of communism.

Of course not. I am not a fascist. The individual is important. As is the collective. There is a necessary balance between the two, and America errs far too strongly in favor of the individual while others go too far the other way.

He was not a fascist either. Not all authoritarians are fascists or nazis or communists.

It factually wasn’t though. I’m not making the argument that it was a fair or just society when it came to race relations, but it wasn’t an apartheid regime like South Africa.

So in other words,if the petulant left get their way,they will back off the tantrums.How big of them…:roll_eyes:

Last edited:
The country hasn’t been “abnormal” since he took office, except in the abnormal level of outrage and paranoia against the President. Which started the day after the election, before he was even sworn in or had done anything.
My areas of the country have changed very little, except for the changes brought by the pandemic, which I’m pretty sure would have happened similarly regardless of who was in office.
I doubt the next President will have to do much of anything except continue to fulfill normal Presidential duties.
I beg to differ. People have become far, far nastier and less accommodating to one another in the past four years. We’ve become completely polarized. That didn’t just happen in a vacuum. Nor did all the too easily accepted conspiracy theories about politicians eating the flesh of children. :roll_eyes: I’m sort of stunned that you think the past 4 years have just been business as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back