Seventh Day Adventists

• Thread starter Thread starter shannin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Estella:
My sister recently joined the SDA church. She did this because she is a vegetarian and finds more fellowship in a church that practices a healthy lifestyle. A lot of members seem to also follow the vegetarian way of life. I’m a little upset about this but she is an adult who makes her own choices. She’s changed denominations several times already and each time she gets into a new church she starts evangilizing,etc. to me.

I mentioned to her that the SDA has a history of Catholic bashing but she doesn’t believe me. According to her, nothing is said that’s anti-Catholic in her church.

If she starts bashing my faith how do I handle it? Aside from my son, she’s the only blood relative I have and I don’t want to lose her.
I think the thing you must do is to be an example of christian charity. That is, when she begins, listen to what she has to say, then have her show you the “proof” of what she is saying. Then you can rebut her. The thing is, during the rebuttal, don’t make it an argument. Always be charitable, thus showing the truth about Catholicism, that it is about love and not about being right (even though we are!)

With Christ’s love,
Subrosa

Lol… vegetarian here preferring that we don’t give anyone a pork chop!

😃

steve b:
Don’t feel like you have to give her an answer on the spot if she starts pitching fast balls at you. If you can’t give her a satisfactory answer on the spot, take note of the questions and say I’ll get back to you with the answer. Don’t bluff your way through an answer. All the resources are available to you here.
Good advice!

Though your answers will carry more weight if you show her out of the inspired Word of God!

40.png
happybrew:
A better tactic seems to be a critical examination of their doctrines, beginning with their belief that the dead are not conscious, and will not go to heaven until after the second coming of Christ. …Their doctrine regarding the state of the dead is their Achilles heel. Successfully attack that, and it’s not too hard, and the rest of their attacks on Catholicism fall in logical order. Of course, the trick is getting an Adventist to consider it…
Doug
Jehovah’s Witnesses also believe in the death of the soul, akin to soul sleep. We could look at the Gospels for clear proof that the human soul does not die or sleep, even if the body does.

“’…he went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly did not obey…’ 1 Peter 3:19 Peter tells us that after his death, Jesus went to preach to the spirits in prison. Now if souls cease to exist at death, why were these souls alive?”

“‘…I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob. He is the God of the living, not of the dead.’ Matthew 22:32 This verse makes it clear that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are not in fact, dead!”

“‘Suddenly two men were talking with him - Moses and Elijah.’ Luke 9:30 If human souls die, and Moses and Elijah were dead, then why were they talking with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration?”

When conversing with your visitors you will probably only get to show them two or three bible verses at the most. But if this list doesn’t suffice, there are more! Check out John 11:26 and Philippians 1:23.

40.png
Des:
Actually, I never heard of them till I started to work with one. We got into a little discussion about Sabbath vs Sunday. He gave me some reading material that was some what disturbing but it was mostly based on Revelations and their interpretation of it. Yeah, and it is right that they actually believe a Sunday law will be the sign of the beast…
We’ve got some very aggressive SDAs here on Guam, so I recently wrote an article defending Sunday worship. Check it out at cegguam.org/scriptures/TheSabbathControversy.htm

40.png
cbwhite:
Jehovah’s Witnesses also believe in the death of the soul, akin to soul sleep. We could look at the Gospels for clear proof that the human soul does not die or sleep, even if the body does.

“’…he went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly did not obey…’ 1 Peter 3:19 Peter tells us that after his death, Jesus went to preach to the spirits in prison. Now if souls cease to exist at death, why were these souls alive?”
18 ¶ For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Christ died for our sins. It’s easier to see this from the cross, but what about the people how died before the cross? Christ was brought back to life by the Holy Spirit, and through the Holy Spirit Christ worked for salvation of those before the cross.

Verse 20 says that only 8 souls survived the flood.

cbwhite said:
“‘…I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob. He is the God of the living, not of the dead.’ Matthew 22:32 This verse makes it clear that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are not in fact, dead!”

23 ¶ The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,
24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
27 And last of all the woman died also.
28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.
34 ¶ But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.

Matthew 22:23-34

cbwhite said:
“‘Suddenly two men were talking with him - Moses and Elijah.’ Luke 9:30 If human souls die, and Moses and Elijah were dead, then why were they talking with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration?”

Moses died, was resurrected and taken to Heaven. There were people raised from the grave when Christ was raised from the dead too and also taken to Heaven. Elijah never died.

So, yes, Moses and Elijah are in Heaven, but God took them. Moses died and was resurrected. He represents the majority of those people that had to experience the first death. Elijah was taken to Heaven without seeing death. He represents those that will be saved at the second coming of Christ, and will not taste dealth.

11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
John 11:11-14.

Jesus describes death as a sleep.

An interesting point all should enjoy is that when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead He said,

43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
John 11:43.

Some scholars say that if He didn’t address Lazarus and said “come forth,” then He would have resurrected everyone that had died. Jesus is the resurrection.
40.png
cbwhite:
When conversing with your visitors you will probably only get to show them two or three bible verses at the most. But if this list doesn’t suffice, there are more! Check out John 11:26 and Philippians 1:23.
I’m not sure what point you’re making with John 11:26. Jesus just got through saying death is a sleep.

5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

ECCLESIASTES
Ecclesiastes 9:5-6

If I were to die tomorrow, hopefully the next thing I will know is the second coming of Christ. If for some reason I’m not saved then there will be a second resurrection 1,000 years later for those that are not saved. Either way, those that die won’t have a conscious thought until the end of the world.

I kind of wonder this: if we put Joseph Smith, the prophet of LDS in the same room with E.G. White from SDA, and let them have only the bible translations each felt most comfortable with, I wonder who would be converted first? Would E.G. White recognize the work of God in the Book of Mormon, or would Joseph Smith become SDA? And then if we put Ron Hubbard in there as well, (he probably would get along better with Joseph Smith than E.G. White), and Russell from the Jehovah Witness- I wonder what would happen? No way of knowing of course, because they have passed on, but nevertheless. God has obviously revealed a plethora of prophets to us these days. It’s almost a bunch of prophets have individually decided that God himself is confused. What other conclusion could possibly reach with a God who has sent so many divergent messages from such a wide field of prophecy? does not God know what He wants to reveal? Because the only thing any of these prophets agree on is that the Roman Catholic Church is no good. But then we have no startling new revelations to offer. No prophet to put in the room with Hubbard, White, Russell and Smith. Whoops sorry, I forgot about Mary Baker Eddy and Aimee Semple McPherson. Wow.

40.png
Apologia100:
The Seventh Day Adventist, like Fundamentalist, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and the Mormons, believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon and that the Pope is the AntiChrist.
I can’t speak for the other denominations here listed, but I can tell you with certainty that while this may be the opinion of a few terriably misguided members, the LDS (Mormon) church does not teach that the Catholic church is the “whore of babylon” or The great and abominable church" as some have suggested.

God Bless

40.png
iwonder:
God has obviously revealed a plethora of prophets to us these days. It’s almost a bunch of prophets have individually decided that God himself is confused. What other conclusion could possibly reach with a God who has sent so many divergent messages from such a wide field of prophecy?
Or could it be that man keeps corrupting Gods word, mingling Gods word with his own, until it is no longer valid and he has to send someone anew?

After reading this board I wonder if I really want to associate with ANY of the orginized denominations? (and I include Catholic in the word denomination)

Jo's_Dad:
I can’t speak for the other denominations here listed, but I can tell you with certainty that while this may be the opinion of a few terriably misguided members, the LDS (Mormon) church does not teach that the Catholic church is the “whore of babylon” or The great and abominable church" as some have suggested.

God Bless
Not true.
Maybe not in the extreme recent past as it is terribly against PC. I know for a fact that they did teach this though not more than a decade ago. Believe it or not, I have been to family home nights on Wednesdays where the kids were warned away from Catholics with a stream of abuse.

Jo's_Dad:
Or could it be that man keeps corrupting Gods word, mingling Gods word with his own, until it is no longer valid and he has to send someone anew?

After reading this board I wonder if I really want to associate with ANY of the orginized denominations? (and I include Catholic in the word denomination)
He also keeps re-writing it until it is unrecognizeable. That is why the Catholics have to keep returning to the Vulgate and others. By the time all the Mormons and other denominations re-write to say what they think God REALLY meant to say, in the Church we have to start over again with the original records.
Actually, I don’t really concern myself overmuch with who you associate with.

I have studied SDA teachings, watched 3ABN and many other SDA programs for the past 6 years before coming back to the true church which is the Catholic Church. I know for a fact that they are most critical of the Catholic Church. Some of their ministers state that they love the members but hate the teachings of the church. Some of them claim that there are many true christians in the Catholic church but that we are deceived. I have a very large library here at home that are SDA. This library consists of many, many books written by Ellen G. White and also by many other authors. I know for a fact that the attack on Catholics is a major tactic for the SDA church because it is their belief that the Catholic church is the organization that the AntiChrist will come out of and through the church the mark of the beast (they interpret this to be forced worship on Sunday) will come through the Catholic church and through government enforcement as well.
I love the SDA church for many things. I almost converted to it because they had me believing that the Catholic church was the whore of Babylon. It took Catholic Answers and several other good Catholic websites and books to open my eyes to the truth. John D.

OPINION FOR YOUR EXAMINATION: WHY GOD RESTED ON SUNDAY IN NEW TESTAMENT?

In the New Testament, JESUS DIED ON GOOD FRIDAY.

SATURDAY, JESUS WAS WORKING, PREACHING TO THE SPIRITS IN PRISON. (1 Peter 3:19)

Easter Sunday, Jesus Ressurected and I assume rested

So in the New Testament, God rested not Saturday but SUNDAY.

40.png
boppysbud:
Bulldog you say that the CA site is much more harsh to SDAs than SDAs are to Catholics. I say nonsense.

Where does CA call the SDA organisation the “great whore of Babylon”? Where does the CA site call the President or leader of General Conference “the beast”?

SDAs routinely call the Catholic Church and Pope both of these names. They lie when they say the Catholic Church “has thought to omit one of the ten commandments”.

They lie when they claim the Papal triple tiara is inscribed with the words “Vicar of the Son of God” which according to SDA numerology equals to 666. (Are you aware that no Pope since John XXIIrd has even worn the triple tiara?)

Get real, SDA hatred for, and lies about the Catholic Church is uneqauled.
I think what you have is a conflict between people that are radical or fundamental, and those who are more concerned with Christ. While it is true that some engage in hostility, it does not necessarily follow that the 3 angels network is representative of every SDA. I love to tell people about my obstetrician. He was a very hopeful, cheerful man, an SDA, who encouraged me strongly to have children after all other doctors had said I absolutely shouldn’t. I had had too many stillborn babies and they wanted me to give up. He wanted me to try again. I did, my child was born prematurely. The Dr. had called for life support planes to carry me and the baby to a major teaching hospital as in my area there were no intensive care, or trauma type hospitals. We did have however, a Catholic Hospital with a maternity ward where my SDA doctor was on staff. My doctor held up full of confidence and hope for me until after the nuns took my son to the nursery to give him his shots and so on. And then my doctor started to cry. I said what in the world is the matter? You were right, the baby is fine." he said I’’ m crying from relief that God heard my prayers. I was afraid I was being arrogant to encourage you to try again. I was afraid I was wrong. I have prayed every night for the last 9 months that I had not made a mistake. That is why I am crying." I hugged him so hard.
He attended my son’s baptism at our local parish Church. He has pictures on his office wall of my son’s First Communion.
He is SDA and I am Roman Catholic. One act of love covers…many anti Catholic or anti SDA websites.

40.png
cbwhite:
We’ve got some very aggressive SDAs here on Guam, …
They are aggressive EVERYWHERE!! One time at my partners church (SDA), I (Catholic) got into a discussion with the pastor (a very nice guy) We went back and forth over several things. Thankfully, he was respectful even after I told him “I was the Catholic girl your mama warned you about” But he tried his best to get me to see his side of things. Told him I was born a Catholic and will die a Catholic.
~ Kathy ~

40.png
iwonder:
While it is true that some engage in hostility, it does not necessarily follow that the 3 angels network is representative of every SDA. I love to tell people about my obstetrician. He was a very hopeful, cheerful man, an SDA, who encouraged me strongly to have children after all other doctors had said I absolutely shouldn’t…

That is why I am crying." I hugged him so hard. He is SDA and I am Roman Catholic. One act of love covers…many anti Catholic or anti SDA websites.
I am so glad you’ve had such a positive expereince with Adventists. My best friend is an Adventist, and i love her tremendously, despite our differences. It’s important that everyone note that – lol – Adventists are just like you and me. (Sometimes better!) Don’t confuse the message with the individual – be they Jehovah’s Witness, Muslim, etc. They are as passionate about what they believe as true as we are… even if we know thei views are utimaely wrong. And remember, try and make strong friendships with Adventists… how else will we ever reach them?

That being said, 3ABN is very representative of Adventism… it hosts nearly every notable Advenist preacher. And Adventists have a clear belief on the identity of the Roman Catholic Church that all bt the most liberal do not subscribe to. As I study at Southern Adventist University, I am amazed by Adventist youth who would sooner turn to drugs than to Catholicism. If forced to decide between a living a reckless lifestyle or embracing Catholic faith, many are more afraid of the latter than the former.

How sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back