Who Will Win the US Presidential Election

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted this morning in a traditionally Republican area and turnout was huge. I walked a mile to the polling place to save parking spaces for the really old. It took an hour to vote and when I left the line was even longer than when I arrived. As you might expect at the 10-11 time frame, many of the voters were seniors.
I have yet to vote and worry about being able to endure the long lines as I rely on a cane (broken tibia) and fatigue relatively easily. I’ll wait until after supper and if the lines are too long for me, then “that’s all she wrote.” 😦
 
My wife and I voted and it was very fast. We used a paper ballot which was interesting.

Our 3 and-a-half year-old was pretty disappointed they didn’t have “I voted” stickers like we told her they would.
 
In a conference call this afternoon, President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign had one central message for their supporters when Election Day arrives tomorrow: They should “keep calm,” even if they hear snippets of information favoring Republican Mitt Romney.
“My warning, we need to stay calm for much of the day,” Stephanie Cutter, Mr. Obama’s deputy campaign manager, said, touting thousands of early ballots already submitted by voters. “We’ve already banked a pretty big portion of our vote.”
The fear, she explained, was early numbers leaking before voters have finished going to the polls, creating unnecessary panic and pessimism among Democrats.
Bravo! :clapping:

I think this goes for both sides. People just need to calm down and just do their civic duty to vote if they are informed enough. I have a question, do people think the voters are calm in this Election…or do they fear like I do, they are too worked up? :hmmm:
 
Becoming an orthopod seems then to have fitted in with what you endured with your wounds! Great!
Yes, I was given a great gift through the skill of the surgeon that I happened to draw. The next guy on the table was not so lucky. I hope to pass some of that along to others. Plus, I am very good with my hands, and was an accomplished musician and carpenter early on. I was always very good at physics and engineering type disciplines. I have the manual skills and mental bent for this particular line of work.

I wrote in another thread, what the personal impact on my values were, resulting from that event. I won’t repeat it here, except to say that I chose to return to a combat position as soon as I could, in order to do my best to bring the best possible outcome to that war. I also decided that the best course for my life would be one where my actions would align with my conscience, regardless of the other circumstances. Medical care is one of those fields which met that requirement. I actually enrolled in nursing school, and my instructors all insisted that I apply to medical school. Stanford had a proactive program to recruit vets, and my teachers shoved me across the threshold into an accelerated program. My previous undergrad academic record was not bad, but it never occurred to me to apply to medical school. And, it was all paid for. I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to be doing work that I love which makes a difference.

OK… enough about me. Back to the original thread topic, I hope.
 
My wife and I voted and it was very fast. We used a paper ballot which was interesting.

Our 3 and-a-half year-old was pretty disappointed they didn’t have “I voted” stickers like we told her they would.
They should have them at your local Board of Elections, if your kid really wants one.

or just go to another polling station and ask for one.
 
My wife and I voted and it was very fast. We used a paper ballot which was interesting.

Our 3 and-a-half year-old was pretty disappointed they didn’t have “I voted” stickers like we told her they would.
Aww she could have mine Ringil if you weren’t in Buffalo. I’ve been wearing it for a couple of wks now.
 
My wife and I voted and it was very fast. We used a paper ballot which was interesting.

Our 3 and-a-half year-old was pretty disappointed they didn’t have “I voted” stickers like we told her they would.
I voted by absentee ballot.

My brother reports that lines were longer than he had seen in any other election, in his neighborhood. Turnout appeared to be higher than usual. He lives in a liberal pocket of a conservative city.
 
Oh… Obama is winning the popular vote by a landslide from all precincts reporting. The current tally from New Hampshire is, 28 votes Obama, 14 votes Romney. I guess we can all go home now.
 
I voted by absentee ballot.

My brother reports that lines were longer than he had seen in any other election, in his neighborhood. Turnout appeared to be higher than usual. He lives in a liberal pocket of a conservative city.
That’s what I did but I delivered mine in person. Now it only has to get counted. Wonder if liberals are fired up?
 
I voted by absentee ballot.

My brother reports that lines were longer than he had seen in any other election, in his neighborhood. Turnout appeared to be higher than usual. He lives in a liberal pocket of a conservative city.
And this was the fastest I have ever voted. There was no line. They had a very organized set-up. I don’t know if my location is liberal or conservative. It is mostly white but folks here are big on unions and more educated which is correlated with Democratic coting.
 
Yes, they were longer, and there were no complicated issues on the ballot, so actual voting did not take long. Indiana was considered safe for Romney already. My county borders Ohio where they could use a lot of our “extra” Romney votes a few miles away.
Hopefully a sign of high republican turn out
 
And this was the fastest I have ever voted. There was no line. They had a very organized set-up. I don’t know if my location is liberal or conservative. It is mostly white but folks here are big on unions and more educated which is correlated with Democratic coting.
Ringil, if I were a betting man like Mitt Romney, I’d bet you $10,000 Obama is going to win your state. Oh wait. You’re not Rick Perry, are you? 😃
 
Ringil, if i were a betting man like Mitt Romney, I’d bet you $10,000 Obama is going to win your state.
You know, I was thinking maybe the Prohibitionist Patry would take NY State but I think that Obama might take it on second thought.
 
I have yet to vote and worry about being able to endure the long lines as I rely on a cane (broken tibia) and fatigue relatively easily. I’ll wait until after supper and if the lines are too long for me, then “that’s all she wrote.” 😦
Too bad you don’t live in Chicago. I think you could get your precinct captain to vote for you.😉
 
Here is one prediction I can make based on decades of experience. All across the country losing candidates will blame the lack of money needed to get their message out to the voters. They will not consider that the voters got the message and rejected it.

Write that down.
 
And abortion isn’t health care. But I can see the argument, why should one be compelled to pay for military actions they don’t agree with and there are other things we may not personally agree with. However, part of this problem is forcing private companies to pay for this through health care. It’s complex, I’m not sure if I am even stating this correctly.
That is where the courts are open to interpret the Constitution, and weigh the various rights.

If it came down to the courts, I could see a decision to put personal religious freedom over the right to have an abortion. That would be in alignment with my values.

I could also see a very different outcome as possible, in which the court might rule that nobody is forced to have an abortion. Those who oppose abortion for religious reasons, may continue to do so personally. However, and employer does not have this right to refuse to pay for medical care which they do not agree with.

There is a continuing trend to see the right to medical care as a human right, and even a civil right. This has been the point of view in Europe for decades. The tentative efforts in the US with “Obamacare” are another expression of this trend, in the US.

Germans, for example, are appalled when I discuss the issue, and explain to them that in the US, having medical care depends on being able to pay for it, which usually means having an employer. Once someone is seriously ill, then they no longer have an employer, and therefore no way to pay for medical care. Also, the callousness and illogic behind denying insurance to those with pre-existing conditions makes no sense to a German. They see the purpose of a healthcare system to be to provide medical services to those who need it, based on medical need. They tend to see receiving this care as a human rights and social justice issue.
 
And probably more than once if I asked him. 😃
I don’t understand why Chicagoans always get a bad rap when it comes to voting multiple times. My great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was from Chicago and he has voted in every presidential election since our country was founded, but never more than once!
 
I don’t understand why Chicagoans always get a bad rap when it comes to voting multiple times. My great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was from Chicago and he has voted in every presidential election since our country was founded, but never more than once!
😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top